Airforce EOD

Hey I’m new, I wanted to know where the best place would be to get some info on airforce EOD. I also wondered if they do reserves?

Thank you!

AlphaVictor

Operator
As far as your first question, you could check out the Air Force Enlisted Forums for Air Force EOD specific information. Look under the 3E8 career field subsection. Also, SOCNET and Shadowspear may have some more information for you, but tread very lightly and do your research before you reach out over there. For your second question, yes, there is Air Force EOD in both the Reserves as well as the Air National Guard. Are you looking for a unit in a specific region?

As far as your first question, you could check out the Air Force Enlisted Forums for Air Force EOD specific information. Look under the 3E8 career field subsection. Also, SOCNET and Shadowspear may have some more information for you, but tread very lightly and do your research before you reach out over there. For your second question, yes, there is Air Force EOD in both the Reserves as well as the Air National Guard. Are you looking for a unit in a specific region?

No, I don’t really care about region just very interested with EOD and wanted to know what the training would be like. Thanks for the help though I’ll check that stuff out

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Also be aware EOD is acronym for Explosive Ordinance Disposal (not demolition) and while the basic EOD qual is essentially the same among the military services (it's a joint initial training school) the utilization and mission does vary from military branch to military branch (Army, Air Force, Navy, USMC, and Coast Guard).

Also be aware EOD is acronym for Explosive Ordinance Disposal (not demolition) and while the basic EOD qual is essentially the same among the military services (it's a joint initial training school) the utilization and mission does vary from military branch to military branch (Army, Air Force, Navy, USMC, and Coast Guard).
Yeah I know it’s not demolition. I’m more interested in the process of learning how it all works. So your saying all branches have the same tech school for EOD?

AlphaVictor

Operator
Yeah I know it’s not demolition. I’m more interested in the process of learning how it all works. So your saying all branches have the same tech school for EOD?
Correct, they all attend the Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal School at Eglin, AFB in Florida. It is supposedly a very academically challenging school. As Yukon said, the job varies across branches, with the Air Force side having more to do with clearing bombing ranges of ordnance versus the Navy's focus on clearing ordnance from a maritime environment, as well as their potential to attach to special operations units.

I was interested in Navy EOD for years but then changed my interests to CCT/SEAL/75RR/SF

Question about USAF EOD

Will the USAF EOD Technician be attached to a USAF special operations units, or will they operate independently as USAF EOD Teams?

Also do the USAF EOD Technicians carry small arms, or personal defense weapons?

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
USAF EOD as a specialty is aligned under Civil Engineering which is aligned under Base support and mission support.

Excerpted from the 30 April 2019 AFECD:

The Civil Engineering Career Field encompasses: …
Explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) activities, including detecting, identifying, rendering safe, recovering, and destroying United States and foreign explosive ordnance, improvised explosive devices and weapons of mass destruction which may include; incendiary, chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear hazards; supervising EOD functions and resolving technical problems; performing as specialized members of the initial response force, disaster response force, tactical response force and response task force.

Readiness activities, including personnel training to accomplish the primary mission under the handicaps imposed by enemy attack and by acts of man and nature; training in detecting, measuring, and decontaminating nuclear, biological, and chemical contaminants; providing and using proper protective equipment; and day-to-day operations requiring establishing, training, and equipping a disaster response force to handle all types of peacetime accidents and requests for assistance from the civilian community.

The Civil Engineering Career Field is a contingency related career field. Personnel serving in this career field may participate in recovery operation as a result of natural and manmade disasters, or be subject to deployment and employment in hostile environments created by terrorism, sabotage, or chemical, biological, or conventional warfare. Individuals should have knowledge of contingency skills such as first aid procedures, field sanitation and hygiene, work party security, repair and construction methods, beddown procedures, personal weapons, chemical warfare defense, and explosive ordnance reconnaissance.

1. Specialty Summary. Performs explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) operations to protect personnel, resources, and the environment from the effects of hazardous explosive ordnance (EO), improvised explosive devices (IED) and weapons of mass destruction (WMD)which may include; incendiary, chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) hazards. Employs specialized tools, techniques and personal protective equipment to detect/identify EOD objectives and to accomplish diagnostics, monitoring, evaluation, interrogation, mitigation, render safe, recovery, and disposal operations on ordnance/devices delivered, placed, or made dangerous by accident/incident or other circumstance. Utilizes and maintains advanced equipment, such as, robotics, x-ray, landmine and CBRN detection equipment. Transports demolition explosives and equipment to authorized disposal areas, fabricates explosive demolition charges, and disposes of hazardous devices, ordnance and explosives. EOD may be employed alone or as part of an AF, Joint, Interagency, or Coalition force, to support Combatant Commander and/or Air Force objectives. Provides rapid response capability and operates in five geographic disciplines: mountain, desert, arctic, urban and jungle, day or night, to include austere combat environments independent of an established airbase or its perimeter defenses in mounted, dismounted and limited airborne/aerial insertion operations. EOD at the five, seven, and nine level plan, organize, and direct EOD operations. Related DoD Occupational Subgroup: 143100 and143300.

I emphasized may in red text. May is used to indicate possibility or probability without disclosing the strength of certainty or frequency.

Other perspectives to evaluate the possibilities and probabilities suggested in the EOD specialty description is gained from awareness of the existence of the Emergency Operations Centers and damage control centers which EOD capabilities align under with primary purpose of clearance (disposal) of obstructions preventing safe airfield operations. This capability also includes explosive demolition. Consequently the primary purpose of clearing unexploded ordnances from live fire training ranges, malfunctioning unexploded ordinance that failed to drop or fire (hung) ordnance from aircraft, and clearing unexploded ordnances from the airfield runway and base real-estate after an attack on the airfield.

AFMAN 32-3001 CE Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) Program

Pertinent to the question of does AF EOD carry small arms, or personal defense weapons the answer is dependent on the nature of the deployment utilization and if there is an in-garrison or peacetime arming requirement. As EOD isn't law enforcement or airbase defense support as Security Forces is or a Battlefield/Special Warfare specialty the most often answer is no.