Buddy Breathing at A&S

I have heard from a reliable source that buddy breathing is now gone. Can anyone confirm or deny this as fact? The idea behind getting rid of buddy breathing was to cut out the difficulty of instructor variances. (i.e. some instructors were harder to buddy breath with than others)

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
A&S is common to all the enlisted BattleField Airman (BA) program, soon to be Special Warfare (SW) career field, specialties. Until recent reengineering and redesign of SOW to SR only Pararescue required SCUBA/Combat Diver or even swimmer requirements as a core skill required prior to attending the 3-level AFSC Course and for award and retention of 3-Skill level AFSC. At this time CCT doesn't require such ability or qualification until after 3-skill level AFSC is awarded and TACP has no requirement.

The October 2019 AFECD may or may not change the above situation and circumstances, but the AF can not require a learning objective in a course or impose a screening and assessment methodology that isn't required by all the specialties being supported by a mandatory course.

Any suggestion or assertion of "The idea behind getting rid of buddy breathing was to cut out the difficulty of instructor variances. (i.e. some instructors were harder to buddy breath with than others)" is erroneous and mistaken. Such learning objectives are a post A&S requirement. I've not kept abreast of recent changes but this learning objective of the former PJ Indoc course became a Pre-Dive course at Lackland/Medena attended immediately after completing A&S by those proceeding into the Pararescue training pipeline. It is now presumed (I have no reliable info) that SR now go into this predive course along side PJs too.