CC Recommendation

Does anyone have any information/guidance on how to go about the letter of recommendation from your commander as a part of retraining? Is this something you can only get after you apply? Or can you get it before your window opens so it’s ready?

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
The letter is required as part of your retraining package. You'll need to get it before you submit all of your paperwork.
Talk to your first sergeant or senior enlisted in your SQ on how to get it.

The letter is required as part of your retraining package. You'll need to get it before you submit all of your paperwork.
Talk to your first sergeant or senior enlisted in your SQ on how to get it.
I suppose this might be where I’m getting confused in the process. My window opens the first of June. When I go to MyPers to apply, should I have all of my paperwork ready then? (PAST, physical, etc.) or do I apply on MyPers and then go about submitting all of my paperwork?

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
I suppose this might be where I’m getting confused in the process. My window opens the first of June. When I go to MyPers to apply, should I have all of my paperwork ready then? (PAST, physical, etc.) or do I apply on MyPers and then go about submitting all of my paperwork?
The latter. But, it never hurts to have some of your things ready before you click the button.

SW

You don't need anything to submit your initial request through MyPers. I submitted mine last week and it was only a couple of questions to establish initial eligibility and they said it would be up to 20 days to receive a response. That said, I started talking to people in Flight Medicine months ago. They weren't able to actually schedule me an appointment but I've done my best to make connections so it will be as smooth as possible now. A guy in my unit was approved for retrain to CCT in February and he still hasn't gotten a flight physical yet.

I spoke with my First Sergeant this morning about the letter of recommendation. Definitely speak to yours as it may be different at your unit but mine advised me to put together the letter of recommendation myself, like you would with EPR bullets, then reach out to the Commander's assistant. They will be able to route the letter up and schedule a face to face meeting if possible. I'm moving on that this week so I will have the letter ready once I hear back from MyPers on the initial retraining request.

You say your window opens June 1st, have you been active duty for over 24 months? A memorandum was published to MyPers in February clarifying that anyone with over 24 months in service can apply to retrain to SW career fields regardless of manning levels in current AFSC. Check that out for details and exact wording. I believe it is discussed and posted elsewhere in these forums but I've attached it here, there is also a link on MyPers. Best thing I did was to comb through everything under the retraining tab on MyPers.

Attachments

Custom Text