Color vision deficiency

I am currently in the process of cross training back to pararescue and I failed my color vision test. I was in the pipeline in may 2013 and now I need waivers for my color deficiency. Can I get a waiver for a color vision deficiency? They are in the process of writing it but they say it isn't 100% that it will get approved. Has there been cases of these types of waivers to get approved?

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kpanich</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but they say it isn't 100% that it will get approved.</div></div>They gave you your answer. No magic to be found here to change that answer.

Yea I figured that would be my answer, I was just wondering if you've know of any cases if a color deficiency waiver would pass for pararescue.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kpanich</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I was just wondering if you've know of any cases if a color deficiency waiver would pass for pararescue. </div></div>irrelevant as there is no way without your definitive medical records and definitive medical records of others to make a useful comparison. BTW, I have no awareness of anybody trying to entry classify into pararescue getting a color vision deficiency waiver.

Would it make a difference if I was already in the pipeline back in 2013? I just never had a IFC III until I was trying to retrain now. I can easily pass the PIP color vision test but the CCT test I have a slight deficiency.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kpanich</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would it make a difference if I was already in the pipeline back in 2013? </div></div>No.

So my wavier got disapproved, and I was wondering if there was anything else I could try or if I am just out of luck for retraining into Pararescue.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
An approved waiver for your color vision deficiency is needed for you to retrain into pararescue.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kpanich</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does SOWT require an IFC 3 as well? </div></div>The answer is clearly disclosed in the AFECD Special Operations Weather job description.

You could likely get an approved IFC III for Ground Based Controller. I have a green deficiency and was given a waiver for it to retrain into CCT and TACP.

Yukon, I realize this thread is older. However, "requirements" posted for these job descriptions aren't 100% accurate. There is waivers for a lot of things. Are you saying waiver's are IMPOSSIBLE or just uncommon? I'm looking to cross over from the army and had waivers for my job for color deficiency. Despite it being listed as a requirement. So I'm curious if you could ask around and find out for those of us looking for answers that are grey and not necessarily researchable through normal means.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The job descriptions establish the minimum classification qualification requirements, it's the career field managers in coordination with the medical waiver approving authority that determine how much lowering of the standards will be tolerated.

The only answer I can provide is how likely the minimums will be ignored. SR AFSC's PULHES minimum are 1111111 (became more stringent from 231221 in 2014), and also added since 2014 is Physical qualification for military combat diver duty and parachute duties (Static-Line, Military Freefall, etc.) IAW AFI 48-123, Medical Examinations and Standards. Combat diver duty and parachute duties (static-line and MFF) are more robust in minimum medical qualification requirements than the Physical Profile PULHES standards in some areas.

The preceding is 100% accurate, the question you are asking is how entitled and deserving am I because I really want to be, but need a lowering or ignoring of standards (the waiver) that other don't need, so what's the secret to get such accommodation? My answer is there is no secret as much evaluation and assessment of the severity, stability, and duties validating and justifying the minimums is needed and waivers have never had intent or purpose of will be approved or better chances of approval attached to some sort of entitled or elite status.

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
Here's the deal on waivers from my perspective....

@Arsenal719 , your assessment on requirements is inaccurate but also noted. Requirements are requirements. But on the other hand those not in the know may not know there is a waiver process and not even try to seek a waiver if they believe they don't qualify. This is a valid argument. But waivers are never a given. We'll work to add verbiage to the requirements pages that state some may be waiverable.

Waivers:
-Trained assets (ie; people that already have the job) are more likely than untrained assets to get a waiver for the same condition. This is a given standard in the Air Force medical community. For data seeking purposes, asking trained assets on whether an untrained asset will get a waiver is worthless. So is asking whether Army assets get a waiver vs Air Force assets is useless. The only worthwhile data you may be able to gather is whether the same service + same asset as your situation (ie Air Force untrained asset) is getting a waiver. Good luck finding enough data on that to form an intelligent analysis.

-The Air Force waiver authority for medical conditions is the Major Command's SGP (lead flight surgeon) for which the patient falls in. For recruits going to Special Warfare Assessment or the Air Force in general, the Major Command is Air Force Education & Training Command (AETC). (<-- DO NOT start making phone calls to these people).

So what's my recommendation based on the above? Go get your flight physical done through your recruiter or local flight med office, have them submit a waiver and see what happens. Don't get stuck in analysis paralysis-- just go get it done and see if you're waiver will get approved.

SW

@SW Understood. All I was getting at is that waivers are possible. I was also getting a more straight answer on admin's assessment of that possibility. Your answer provided what I was looking for. I assumed it was just based on who was making the decision and under what circumstances. Unfortunately, as you've stated, it's hard to collect enough data to even see this likelihood. Hence why I looked to this forum for some answers. It's tough knowing that you meet all other qualifications and already have some of the training, and all of your decisions to enlist hinge on one effort. Especially with a family and other stress factors, it's nice to have some semblance of guarantee when making these choices.

I appreciate the depth of your responses admin. These are really tough areas that aren't easy to find any answers to.

Custom Text