Crosstrainee Intro

Hello! I’m a currently active duty member of the USAF looking to retrain into PJ sometime this year. I’ve also considered trying out for the 306 RQS, although my family and I would prefer to stay AD. I’ve already started my package but am waiting on my flight physical appointments and have yet to take the PAST. Currently recovering from tennis elbow and going to physical therapy for it, but also have been dealing with some shoulder and ankle pain as I’ve started to run and swim more. Any information on retraining would be appreciated, especially from those who’ve been successful!

I’ve been doing a lot of watercon (2:00 min interval UWs currently; mask and snorkel and 10 ups are my biggest weakness) and have a pretty solid running program from a CSCS. However, I’m still searching for a program that will best prepare me for the demands of A&S. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
I suggest contacting the 306 RQS as entry classifying into Pararescue through the reserve component is no more guaranteed or assured than it is for the Regular (active duty) Air Force. The same entry classification requirements listed in the AFECD apply, the same failure to get through training risks exist.

The "my family and I would prefer to stay AD" disclosure seems to indicate spouse and such concern of spouse shouldn't be ignored if TIS and TIG has accrued sufficiently that eligibility for an assured military retirement check is being compromised. Tough decisions to consider and decide, good luck.

Ovation23

Hello! I’m a currently active duty member of the USAF looking to retrain into PJ sometime this year. I’ve also considered trying out for the 306 RQS, although my family and I would prefer to stay AD. I’ve already started my package but am waiting on my flight physical appointments and have yet to take the PAST. Currently recovering from tennis elbow and going to physical therapy for it, but also have been dealing with some shoulder and ankle pain as I’ve started to run and swim more. Any information on retraining would be appreciated, especially from those who’ve been successful!

I’ve been doing a lot of watercon (2:00 min interval UWs currently; mask and snorkel and 10 ups are my biggest weakness) and have a pretty solid running program from a CSCS. However, I’m still searching for a program that will best prepare me for the demands of A&S. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you and have a nice day!
Hey, I’m in a similar situation! I have both my retraining incident open (awaiting on assessment) and an active case to Palace Chase. Just know both processes can take their time, and you are able to withdraw your separation case if you decide to continue to retrain AD. Family does play a part in my case as well; though it favors Palace Chase.

Just remember you’ll have to assess before you’re accepted to A&S, and that will be the longest 4.5 days of your life.

Hey, I’m in a similar situation! I have both my retraining incident open (awaiting on assessment) and an active case to Palace Chase. Just know both processes can take their time, and you are able to withdraw your separation case if you decide to continue to retrain AD. Family does play a part in my case as well; though it favors Palace Chase.

Just remember you’ll have to assess before you’re accepted to A&S, and that will be the longest 4.5 days of your life.
Thanks for the reply and the info. Do you know when you’ll be going to assessment? How have you been preparing?

I suggest contacting the 306 RQS as entry classifying into Pararescue through the reserve component is no more guaranteed or assured than it is for the Regular (active duty) Air Force. The same entry classification requirements listed in the AFECD apply, the same failure to get through training risks exist.

The "my family and I would prefer to stay AD" disclosure seems to indicate spouse and such concern of spouse shouldn't be ignored if TIS and TIG has accrued sufficiently that eligibility for an assured military retirement check is being compromised. Tough decisions to consider and decide, good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve been in touch with the 306 RQS to discuss the best course of action. If anything, I feel that it wouldn’t hurt to at least attend the tryout. And yes, supporting my spouse and children is one of the biggest concerns driving my decision.

Ovation23

Thanks for the reply and the info. Do you know when you’ll be going to assessment? How have you been preparing?
The unit I’m applying with will hold theirs sometime April/May, and I believe the next retraining phase II will occur soon as well. I haven’t heard anything from AFPC/MyPers yet. So which ever comes first!

Obviously lots of pool time, and like you said 10 ups do suck but thankfully our pool here is 8 lanes wide. So it’s great practice vs the chaparral pool to my understanding. Treading is a must at phase II, you won’t be selected if you fail that event.

Custom Text