Depth Perception

So I found out that SERE no longer requires depth perception as of April of this year. I contacted the operator of the SERE facebook page, and he confirmed this. I also didnt see anything about depth on the new SERE website, gosere.

Did new vision standards get introduced into all BA jobs this year? Maybe thats why my recruiter told me that uncorrected up to 20/400 can be a PULHES of a 1, unless he was just completely off the mark.

Thanks.

Im also generally confused about the flight physicals for SOF. From what Ive read on here, it looks like the flight physical has specifications for the BA job in question. But Im not too clear on it. It would be bizarre if a BA job needed 20/200 uncorrected, but a flight physical for that BA job needed 20/70 uncorrected. That would make no sense to me, because the candidate would then be booted if they had worse than 20/70.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Special Operations Force (SOF) is a capability. What is being discussed here are career military occupations, specifically BA AFSCs. The types of physical are the Flying Class III physical and the Special Operations Duty (SOD) physical.

MFF, combat diver, and other requirement may, can and do drive and other requirements, consequently 20/70 can certainly be in play. The depth perception testing and night vision testing is certainly still in play, HOWEVER, the depth perception test worrying you so much cannot by itself identify disqualifying defective depth perception. The test focuses on a close viewing distance favoring tasks involving complex visual presentations and hand eye coordination. The presence of disqualifying defective depth perception will be of such magnitude that other medically disqualifying problems will be present. As I have already disclosed most depth perception test fails are connected to visual acuity and fixation disparities that are fixed with proper prescription eye glasses or contact lenses. The specifics for each BA AFSC are found in the Medical Standards Directory {MSD) and/or AF Physical Examination Techniques which contains AF and Sister Service requirements, which are not available to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AFI 48-123: as of 19 Sept 2016:

6.4.1.9.1. (Add) AFMSA/SG3PF delegates to AETC/SGPS, AFRC/SG or ANG State Air Surgeon (IAW Table A2.1) the authority for initial FCIIID certification for untrained personnel who do not require depth perception as stated in the AFOCD or AFECD.

6.4.1.9. AFMSA retains certification/waiver authority for all color vision and depth perception deficiencies for all flying/SOD classes unless otherwise delegated. Note: Enlisted flying criteria are guided by the AFSC Career Field Manager at AF/A3.</div></div>

Here is the Army's requirements for duties that gives some insight, but should not be considered definitive for any specific BA AFSC's flight physical and/or SOD physical requirements.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Army Regulation 40–501, Standards of Medical Fitness, 14 June 2017:

5 – 3. Medical fitness standards for initial selection for Airborne training, Ranger training, and Special Forces training, and Reconnaissance and Surveillance Leaders Course training
g. Eyes and vision. (1) Paragraphs 2 – 12 and 2 – 13 with exceptions noted below. (2) For <span style="color: red">Airborne</span> and Ranger training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to at least 20/20 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye within 8 diopters of plus or minus refractive error, with spectacle lenses. (3) For Special Forces training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/20 in both eyes with spectacle lenses. Any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than plus or minus 8 diopters. (4) For <span style="color: red">Airborne</span> and Special Forces training: Failure to pass the PIP set or FALANT test for color vision (see para 4– 2a) unless the applicant is able to identify vivid red and/or vivid green as projected by the Ophthalmological Projector or the Stereoscope, Vision Testing (SVT).

5 – 6. Medical fitness standards for initial selection for free fall parachute training
g. Eyes and vision. (1) Paragraphs 2 – 12 and 2 – 13, with exceptions noted in (2) and (3) below. (2) Uncorrected near visual acuity (14 inches) of worse than 20/50 in the better eye. Uncorrected distant visual acuity of worse than 20/100 in either eye. Distant vision that does not correct to 20/20 in both eyes with spectacle lenses. Any refractive error worse than plus or minus 8 diopters. (3) Failure to pass the PIP or FALANT test for color vision unless the applicant is able to identify vivid red and vivid green as projected by the Ophthalmological Projector or the SVT. (4) Any history of Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) surgery is disqualifying.

5 – 9. Medical fitness standards for initial selection for marine diving training (Special Forces and Ranger combat diving)
g. Eyes and vision. (1) Paragraphs 2 – 12 and 2 – 13, with exceptions noted in (2) and (3), below. (2) Distant visual acuity that does not correct to 20/20 in both eyes with spectacle lenses. Any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than plus or minus 8 diopters. (3) Failure to pass the PIP set or FALANT test for color vision unless the applicant is able to identify vivid red and/or vivid green as projected by the Ophthalmological Projector or the SVT. (4) Any history of Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) surgery is disqualifying.

5 – 11. Medical fitness standards for initial selection for other marine diving training (MOS 00B)
g. Eyes and vision. (1) Paragraph 2 – 12. (2) Distant visual acuity, uncorrected, 20/200; not correctable to 20/20, each eye. (3) Near visual acuity, uncorrected, of less than 20/50 or not correctable to 20/20. (4) Failure to pass the PIP Set or FALANT test for color vision, unless the applicant is able to identify vivid red and vivid green as projected by the Ophthalmological Projector or the SVT. (5) Abnormalities of any kind noted during ophthalmoscopic examination that significantly affect visual function or indicate serious systemic disease.</div></div>

Yukon,

Shouldn't SOWT be exempt from the additional requirement of uncorrected 20/70, because the sister schools of MFF and Dive are not part of their pipeline? I could only find the afi 48-123 from 2013, and I didnt see any specifications about SOWT. It was always CCT/PJ which had the additional requirements because of Dive and MFF. Thanks again.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Your pipeline reasoning is erroneous. Only Pararescue has MFF and Combat Dive as a pipeline perquisite to get into the career-field's 3-skill level awarding apprentice course.

Both combat control and Special Operations weather require MFF qualification for award and retention of 5-skill level AFSC. Members of both career fields continue as students after completing the 3-skill level beret awarding apprentice course by assignment as students at Special Tactics Training Squadron (STTS). The STTS provided required 5-level upgrade training, mission ready qualification training, and as required special qualifications training such as initial MFF qualification course and combat diver qualification course before members of these units are assigned to line units (Special Tactics Squadron) to be available and utilized to accomplish tasked missions.

This differs from pararescue where 3-skill levels are required to obtain all qualifications other than mission ready qualification prior to being assigned to a line unit (STS/RQS) to be available and utilized to accomplish tasked missions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AFI 38-201:
4.3. Grade Parameters and Allocations.
4.3.1. Military positions required to perform Air Force missions are identified by grade and skill using the manpower requirements determination process. The Air Force considers <span style="color: red">enlisted skill level, rather than grade</span>, the primary indicator with regard to experience and/or effectiveness required to perform a task; therefore the accuracy of stated grade and skill level requirements must be maintained when implementing enlisted grade adjustments.</div></div>

Pararescue gained required SCUBA/Combat diver qualifications for award and retention of 3-skill and higher skill levels effective 1 March 1963 and MFF for award and retention of 3-skill and higher skill levels effective 1985. Combat Control gained MFF and Combat diver for award and retention of 5-skill and higher skill levels effective 1988. Special Operations Weather gained MFF as required for award and retention of 5-skill and higher skill levels effective 2015.

Interesting. Thanks. So what in the world happens to someone who earns their beret and then proceeds to fails dive?

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
They become former combat controllers. There are a few of them floating around in the Air Force completing their enlistments in other jobs.

That would be the shortest CCT or SOWT career around ! I cant even imagine the feeling of making it that far and then that happening.

Are the vision requirements for MFF and Dive implemented at MEPS for those who desire a BA job, or only during the flight physical at BMT?

Reason I ask is because although 20/200 correctable to 20/20 is the base minimum for job placement, it would seem unreasonable to allow someone to get a PJ/CCT/SOWT contract with 20/200, only then to get to BMT and realize that the requirements are more stringent in the flight physical. The only result would be to get issued a different job, which would be a horrible surprise.

Could it be the case that one can go through the SOWT pipeline with 20/200, and then the AF provide PRK upon receiving the beret, since MFF and Dive follow the awarding of the beret?

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The Depth Perception test is the only vision standard, that I'm aware of, given some leeway during MEPS and the enlistment process to get a BA GTEP enlistment contract.

There is no going through training with 20/200 and then getting corrective eye surgery.

Ok thank you. Just trying to avoid coming up against a "surprise" that could have been prevented earlier by correctice surgery.

However, I dont have the funds right now, which is why Im relying/hoping the uncorrected 20/200 is sufficient for the entirety of the pipeline.

Noted. At this point, I guess Ill just have to wait and see what I discover at MEPS next month. Forewarned is forearmed, so well see what happens. Im just hoping that the standards for the flight physical are implemented at MEPS, so that there are no surprises down the road.

I want to add that I nearly killed my sight at the university. I wanted to be a diligent student and was completing all my assignments by myself. As I was working a few hours a week, I had to work mostly during nighttime. So I was very upset during a regular check at my doctor’s. After it I learned to order my works online. Usually, I use APlusEssay, it is the best essay writing service.

Last edited:

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
CCT doesn't require JTAC qual for award and retention of any of its skill levels, CCT requirement is Air Traffic Control which differs from JTAC. Thus the difference in waiver decision standards.

3.5.3. For entry, award, and retention of AFSCs 1Z211/31/51/71:
3.5.3.1. Physical qualification for air traffic controller duty, marine diving duty, and parachute duty IAW AFI 48-123, Medical Examinations and Standards.

TACP requires JTAC certification for award and retention 5, 7, and 9 skill levels.

3.4.2. 1Z351. Qualification in and possession of AFSC 1Z331. Certification as a JTAC as specified in AFI 13-112V1, AFMAN 13-112V2 and award of SEI 914. Also, experience in performing TACP operations.

3.5.2.1. Compliance with medical standards for the Special Warfare Airman physical as defined in the Special Warfare column of the Medical Standards Directory.

Custom Text