IS SR BEING OFFERED AT GUARD/RESERVE UNITS?

Straight forward question.

I know they're giving SR contracts out now but, I'd like to know if ANY guard/reserve units are offering SR as well?

Thanks for your time!

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
SOWT has a very limited duty position authorized presence in the reserve components. With the specialty being reengineered/redesigned into the never before existing SR specialty it's a time will eventually reveal the answer. I was certain another thread mentioned something, but I can't find it. It appears my memory is playing tricks on me.

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
Current expectations are that SR will not increase greatly from their SOWT numbers, for now. With that being said, I expect minimal expansion to accommodate the reserve components.
Currently, the only guard/reserve units that may have SR openings will be the Guard STS units; 125 STS (Portland) and 123 STS (Kentucky). The rest will not be offering SR now and it is unknown when they will open up. I've spoken to a few guard contacts and they are currently standing by on a more definitive timeline for the 'rescue to AFSOC' move which will largely drive RQS/STS units to replicate mission capability (strike, access & recovery).

SW

Rgr that. Thank you.

Would anyone happen to have a 125th STS or 123rd STS recruiters number by chance?

Rgr that. Thank you.

Would anyone happen to have a 125th STS or 123rd STS recruiters number by chance?
I just made contact with the 123rd recruiter this week and he said they only have slots for CCT currently. I, too, would like to know if SR is being offered

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
It's all about an empty duty position needing to be filled. No empty SR duty position, particularlily at a Air Guard or AF Reserve unit, means no entry classification (entry job hire) opportunity to offer. It should be noted historically the majority of CCT, SR (previously SOWT) was within the Regular (active duty) Air Force.

The 123rd has claim as being the first Air Guard unit having CCT, no earlier than 1989. I have no awareness or clue when the unit was authorized SOWTs on the unit manning document, but the numbers were much less than CCT and PJs and the SOWT/SR duty positions were put on the funded unit manpower documents years after PJs and CCT were identified in such unit manning documents. The same SOWT/SR inclusion pattern of duty positions exists at the 125th STS.

It's much easier to establish a new enlisted specialty description than it is to establish the AFSC as force requirement or an operational capability in planning documents. Generally a mission capability statement and force or capabilities requirements for use in subsequent deliberate and crisis action planning must exist. This is something that can not exist to justify duty positions for a specialty until a specialty code and description exists.

Such force or capability requirements are generally identify an average or generic approximation of what is available for use. For example an infantry battalion as opposed to, say, the 2d Battalion, llth Infantry; or a CVN as opposed to, say, the USS Nimitz; or an F-15 fighter squadron as opposed to, say, the 1st Fighter Squadron. At the moment it appears SR is minimally identified without a unique force module identifier (UTC, manpower force listing) in the Special Tactics Squadron's operational capability statement. No necessity existed for the SOWT specialty description and the transition to the new SR specialty code and description will need funding to increase numbers of duty positions if the OPlans used for deliberate and crisis action planning justifies and validates the manpower requirements.

There is also the matter of end strength funding imposed by the US Congress to get new funded manpower positions approved. Unless end strength is increased any build up of SR specialty duty positions on unit manning documents would require stealing duty positions from other specialties. Increasing end strength or converting the removal of funded duty positions from one or more specialties to be used by another specialty takes time, time, and time.

As I previously stated it's a time will eventually reveal the answer.