Job Selection?

I've read in a couple places that if you don't accept the job your recruiter offers you, they don't have to give you any job. However, my Special Operations Recruiter told me not to listen to what anyone says and to only pick a Special Warfare job. Is this accurate? or am I boned if I don't get offered a PJ contract?

I've read in a couple places that if you don't accept the job your recruiter offers you, they don't have to give you any job. However, my Special Operations Recruiter told me not to listen to what anyone says and to only pick a Special Warfare job. Is this accurate? or am I boned if I don't get offered a PJ contract?

Hey man! So first I’m going to say that I’m trying to be careful in giving you advice since I’m not a recruiter, but I am also passing along my knowledge based on my personal experiences and those of other...

If things have not changed, getting a Pj contract, or any BA contact should be much easier than receiving one for any other specific AFSC. (Obviously some AFSCs are in higher demand than others, but you get the point...)

Unless you’re ineligible because of ASVAB scores, medical circumstances or unable to complete the PAST within the required standards, I honestly do not see any other reason why you would be unable to receive a Pj contact.

Also, be patient. BE PATIENT. Perhaps at that time, your recruiter has no availabilities for Pj and might try and get you to commit elsewhere. I’d respectfully tell them you’re very interested in Pj alone (unless you’re okay with another AFSC) and make sure they know you’re willing to wait.

Honestly, waiting and making sure you’re as ready as you can be is a blessing. You DO NOT want to jump right in, when you have personal doubts or mental doubts. I stress being patient, because once you commit, and God forbid you do not complete training, it’s a looonnnnggg wait to try again provided that you are even able to later in your career.

I wish you the best, and will say it again; patient. Train and train, and be dang sure you can tread water 👌🏻

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The Air Force has lots of needs and one of these needs is to be fiscally responsible. Recruiting is expensive and the top fiscal priority is to process potential recruits through MEPS that have more than one job option on the table they are willing to enlist to do.

Previous policy (I've not seen rececent AF Recruiting program management policy) was pick 5 jobs plus one BA Special Warfare specialty to process through MEPS. The BA/Special Warfare job choice doesn't become a possibility until through MEPS (MEPS medical Physical, ASVAB, TAPAS) and then PAST to gain eligibility to be offered the GTEP enlistment contract for the one BA/Special Warfare job picked.

I do not have access to Air Force Recruiting Service program management policies, so the above may no longer be accurate.