Medical waiver

So i recently began talking to a recruiter about joining the air force, and was told that i have something called protein s deficiency. All it is is a slightly higher risk of developing a clot, as any other person can, most people that have it never know because it is uncommon to have any complications from it. I was just told that my medical was disqualified and that my recruiter would be submitting a request for a waiver. Everything that i have read says any blood disorders are out of question, but i was wondering if anyone has any information for me. I have spent what seems like my life wanting to serve just like my dad for many reasons. If anyone has any information on if i may still be able to join or anything like that please let me know. I am in desperate need of good news considering my waiver may be delayed because of COVID19 to about 2 months.

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
What were you diagnosed with? Proteinuria? Nephrosis?

The medical eligibility page will provide you more info. In the MSD, your condition most likely fits under line J21 or J22. Based on that, you can check out the Waiver Guide to see add'l information.

SW

Its a blood disorder called protein S deficiency. I will take a look and see what i can find. It not super common so i wasn't sure if it would be on any lists.
I have looked under section J and nothing there fits my disease. I also looked under N since it is a blood clotting disorder and nothing there either. I was wondering if there is any luck with these types of waivers or if they are all denied and how long it may take.

Last edited:

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
High occupational risk for traumatic combat injury (explosions, getting shot at) and impact injuries from falls (parachuting, FAST rope, mountain climbing) certainly discourages a waiver getting approved for a blood clotting disorder. Clots have nasty potential of relocating to block blood flow to heart, brain, and lungs.

Difficult to find a definitive answer on waiver possibilities and probabilities for entry classification into the 1Z enlisted specialties.

I was looking at taking the DLAB to see if i qualified foe linguist but otherwise i was looking at personnel so i was hoping that would help since im ot something like a grunt on the front lines.

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
Its a blood disorder called protein S deficiency. I will take a look and see what i can find. It not super common so i wasn't sure if it would be on any lists.
I have looked under section J and nothing there fits my disease. I also looked under N since it is a blood clotting disorder and nothing there either. I was wondering if there is any luck with these types of waivers or if they are all denied and how long it may take.
The disease name may not be listed in the MSD, but the condition or symptoms must be in there or else they wouldn't need to write you a waiver.

Custom Text