Prior Service Reserve Flight Physical Turn Around Time?

Team,

How long are flight physicals taking to get approved for prior-service guys going PJ through a reserve unit provided you're 100% healthy in all aspects of the physical?

Are there any proactive things a person can do to stay on top of the flight-med admin in efforts to facilitate the waiver getting approved as fast as possible?

I've been told that it typically takes a reservist PJ less time to get their physicals back approved but, I'm looking for verification on that or at least what the trends have shown up till now.

TIA

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Unless something has changed, the specific reserve unit coordinates the process. BTW, prior-service is too vague of a status as are you prior service AF or another branch or are you currently in the AF Reserve as an active reservist seeking to cross train, or … ?

I'm prior service Air Force. Got out in 2006. Re-enlisting. Already re-took the asvab. Now I have MEPS to do all over again to include swearing in, in July, then a PAST 5 days after MEPS, then the flight physical all within the month of July.

So, when you say the unit coordinates the flight physical, yes, I know this but, what determines how long the wait on a flight physical approval is? Why do I keep hearing they take so long?

For the record, I'm 100% healthy with good vision. I have ZERO physical ailments and that's been verified by my current government job as we have in depth physicals to be able to work. That said, what have you seen recently in regards to that?

Is there a way to facilitate the process?

What do I need to do to speed up the admin process? Can I do anything on my end at all?

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
Each MAJCOM can be different. I believe even for reservists, initial FCIII physicals still go through AETC for approvals, which can take awhile depending on the backlog. You can advocate for yourself by having an open (not pushy) conversation with the flight doc about expectations. Ask:
-How long have Initial FCIII's typically taken that they have seen.
-If they are busting a normal suspense, ask if its okay if you follow up with him/her to track progress
-Convey concerns you may have about timing if you have them (politely) and how they might be able to assist

Whatever you do, don't contact the MAJCOM/SGP. Your flight doc should be your advocate and can reach out appropriately if needed.

SW

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
What specialty (AFSC) is your Air Force Reserve enlistment contract specifying? Unless you have award of the Pararescue specialty AFC (at least 3-level) you are not a reservist PJ. This lack of previously awarded Pararescue AFSC (1T231), 1T251 or IT271) means you are enlisting into the Air Force Reserves to entry classify into Pararescue. As prior service Air Force this means you are either enlisting into the reserves with hopes to cross train (retrain) into the pararescue specialty or somehow you are seeking entry classification into the pararescue specialty without going through the AF reserve unit's non prior service screening and selection process.

I strongly suggest you ask your Air Force Reserve recruiter how he or she is going about to enlist you with entry classification into pararescue. I'd follow that question with what you Air Force Reserve unit of assignment is going to be at the moment enlistment happens. The reserve components do not do utilize GTEP enlistment allocations to entry classify individuals into Pararescue duty positions.

Typically, UTA funding constraints and the difficulty of getting applicants/candidates successfully through all the required training for award of AFSC forces the Air Force Reserve Guardian Angel RQS (rescue) units to presceen and select who is to be entry classified into the pararescue specialty.

Examples:

306th RQS 2018 Fall Tryout

If you are doing a re-entry into active duty Air Force as prior service Air Force you are doing so to entry classify into the pararecue specialty. The active or nonactive reserve status doesn't give any head of the line priority in this situation or circumstances.

My AFSC on the contract is 1T2X1. If I'm understanding you correctly, then yes, I'm entry classifying as a 1t2x1. My prior AFSC was not PJ.

I'm doing the same type of tryouts as your link shows the 306th doing for the unit I'm trying out for.