Process for Proir service

I know very little on how the process works to enter AFSPECWAR. I am currently active navy looking to enter AF when enlistment is complete. Can someone explain the process? Is there a way to go from branch to branch without a brake in service or my DD-214 is required to submit a package? How often can you submit? What kind of PAST scores are considered competitive for SR? What kind of things go into being selected that makes one stand out? Any information anyone can provide that would be great!

I can't give any perspective on how to move over without a break in service, but I've been in development for almost a year. You'll have to contact a Special Operations Recruiter for your region. Then you'll meet up with them and the developer to take a PAST. Depending on how well you do, you'll get accepted into the development program. They'll give you workouts and provide guidance on where you're weak. We meet for 2 days every month. First day is a PAST, second is a development day where they work on a little bit of everything. I'm sure each developer does things a little differently.

I don't know if the prior service boards are on a set schedule but there was one last March and the most recent is in progress right now. For your package, you need to write a letter of intent and get some letters of recommendation.

I know that I was rambling a little, but I hope that helps. Good luck!

Brett I was also navy however a reservist at the time when my conditional release was approved by PERS. If you were to get out the Navy I assume you would still have to do complete your IRR time which would still require a DD368. If you did not want a break in service then transferring to the reserves via the career transition officer would be your best bet, however then you would be facing the risk of PERS potentially not granting your release due to needs of the Navy Resv. The DD368 was my biggest hurdle I was fortunate it got approved it was then that I could start the long prior service process of transferring to the AF which took 1yr. If you choose to go down this route be patient and trust the process, use the time to learn and train for what is ahead. Also if you do not have enough time active in points for example 5yrs active duty, be prepared to go back in as a E4 if you have at least 5 yrs active then you will most likely come in a E5. In my personal case I had just been frocked to GM1 then signed a contract for E4 in the AF which I am absolutely ok with.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The process is more enlisting prior service into the Air Force more so than entering into Air Force Special Warfare. Air Force Special warfare isn't a military department (Army, Navy. Marines, Air Force, and some what the Coast Guard). There is no specific prior service to AF Special Warfare fast track program. The needs for prior service do not exist in sufficient numbers to justify or validate an AF Special Warfare occupation-specialties entry fast track enlistment process.

Reference also: Prior Service slots for FY2020 (1 Oct 2019-31 Sep 2020)--> the slots are limited to only 125- this is for the entire AF, not Special Warfare.

I'm in a similar position as the original poster (CG). I have already talked to a recruiter and I am in contact with the STS Liaison at the ANG unit I am looking to apply for. I signed up for the "tryout" interview in February. What should my next step be for transitioning? My tryouts are in February2020 and I was just granted an extension for my current enlistment which now ends in June2020. I also completed my units packet which includes my intake form, hold harmless agreement form, a resume and some letters of recommendations. I feel as though I should be doing more to prepare myself for a smooth transition. Thoughts? Thanks.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The STS Liaison at the STS unit you re attempting to join is your best source for answering this question.

Custom Text