Question about mental health.

I've had my eye on becoming a PJ for quite some time now but have been reluctant to go into a recruiter since I believe I will be disqualified. I have a history of anxiety which is documented in my medical records. I was on meds off and on for a few years. I had the issue for a while when I was young up until my late teens, I'm 25 years old now. I no longer have a problem with my anxiety and feel like I grew out of it, if anything I feel mentally stronger having gone through that. I've been in a lot of stressful situations since then and had no issues with breaking down and I actually tend to work much better under pressure.

What I was looking for was some insight on if there is any possibility of getting a waiver or finding a way to join while having this background. I have no other medical problems and my record is clear. I'm not on any meds and haven't been for some time. Not enlisting is my biggest regret in life and I would do anything to fix that. Thank you for your insight and responses.

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
First, if you haven't already, check out the Medical Eligibility page to get a better understanding of the standards.

Your recruiter and MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) do not have access to your medical records unless you provide them to them. They generally won't ask for them unless there's a reason to investigate. They will give you a medical questionnaire form and you should always answer it truthfully. I don't know the specific questions they ask but most likely there will be a question regarding mental health/your history. Since there has been (assuming, a few years) time since you were on meds, that is helpful and makes a stronger case for eligibility.

Whether or not it may be disqualifying isn't the real point I want to make. We've seen this a lot on the forums here and I'm confident we'll continue to see it- Guys are afraid they may have a disqualifying condition so they are hesitant to try in the first place. For you Tags, and others who come along to read this with similar concerns, why is this holding you back from pursuing a life-long dream? Go find out if you are medically eligible!
What is the worst that can happen? They tell you 'no'. That's it! But wouldn't you like to truly know that instead of always having this 'I don't know' feeling?

Kicking the can down the road isn't going to get you anywhere. My advice? Study up on the Medical Eligibility page that I posted above and go pay the recruiter a visit.

SW

First, if you haven't already, check out the Medical Eligibility page to get a better understanding of the standards.

Your recruiter and MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) do not have access to your medical records unless you provide them to them. They generally won't ask for them unless there's a reason to investigate. They will give you a medical questionnaire form and you should always answer it truthfully. I don't know the specific questions they ask but most likely there will be a question regarding mental health/your history. Since there has been (assuming, a few years) time since you were on meds, that is helpful and makes a stronger case for eligibility.

Whether or not it may be disqualifying isn't the real point I want to make. We've seen this a lot on the forums here and I'm confident we'll continue to see it- Guys are afraid they may have a disqualifying condition so they are hesitant to try in the first place. For you Tags, and others who come along to read this with similar concerns, why is this holding you back from pursuing a life-long dream? Go find out if you are medically eligible!
What is the worst that can happen? They tell you 'no'. That's it! But wouldn't you like to truly know that instead of always having this 'I don't know' feeling?

Kicking the can down the road isn't going to get you anywhere. My advice? Study up on the Medical Eligibility page that I posted above and go pay the recruiter a visit.

SW
Thank you for the reply. I guess the only thing I'm wondering at this point is if they actually look into your medical history at all or if they just go off of what you give them. I'm not saying I'm going to withold anything but I'm wondering if I don't go too in depth if they will pursue any more information. I feel like I'll just dig myself into a hole the more I write down.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The MEPS medical examination is primarily based on voluntary disclosures of past medical history and examining for obvious medical impairing or in need of treatment medical conditions . The questions about your medical history are presented on a document that asks you to sign a statement you are being truthful in the answers you provide to these questions.

However the issue is if a likely to have existed prior to enlisting medical condition does appear, particularly during BMT or subsequently the initial Class III & SOF required medical exams (a bit more thorough than the MEPS medical examination) or during a course of initial entry (such as the USAF Special Warfare A&S course) questions of preexisting prior to enlistment and if it was known or aware of by the service member may and can be an interesting inquiry discovery process.

This is one of the reasons Fraudulent and Erroneous enlistment separations exist. As it is a kind and gentle military an Entry Level Separation is most often the results than the punitive Fraudulent or Erroneous enlistment separation. Make your choice, take the risks, and be prepared for the possible or potential undesirable consequences or unwanted answer from MEPS medical examiners/PULHES profilers and Air Force medical waiver authorities.

thereiwas

Operator
(Accessions Medical Prescreen Report) DD Form 2807-2 Dated MAR 2015 is the governing document used by recruiters & MEPS personnel to review and process your medical history. You will fill out the form, not your recruiter! You can google DD Form 2807-2 to find and review the form. As you will see, it is very comprehensive and leaves little to no wiggle room to omit medical information.

Last edited:
Custom Text