Retraining slots for CCT

Ecastile

I did notice that... annnddd..... on that I have no clue! I’m sorry man but I know we can get your question answered some how.
I'm probably in the same boat as you where I'm trying to explore any option to get out of my career field (CRO/STO, Gaurd/Reserve, CCT, SR). I want pararescue, however having to take the tapas a second time for my retraining application I have no idea how I scored If I'm eligible. With that being said I'd like to put all three career fields and maximize my chance at being accepted to phase 2. Sometimes I almost feel it'd be easier getting out of the airforce and rejoining which is probably not true but this process makes you question it.

I'm probably in the same boat as you where I'm trying to explore any option to get out of my career field (CRO/STO, Gaurd/Reserve, CCT, SR). I want pararescue, however having to take the tapas a second time for my retraining application I have no idea how I scored If I'm eligible. With that being said I'd like to put all three career fields and maximize my chance at being accepted to phase 2. Sometimes I almost feel it'd be easier getting out of the airforce and rejoining which is probably not true but this process makes you question it.
Yes and no. I certainly do not appreciate my current job like I should!

You’re not alone! Although I would never separate with the intentions of rejoining I have heard of at least two instances where it has worked! One of those guys should be done here soon.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
What you don't get on the forums is the instances things do not work as expected in getting the prior service enlistment opportunity. I've been associated with these forum since about 1998 and the didn't workout as expected or hoped seldom get disclosed. Never say never and never say always in such matters as exceptions do happen.

What you don't get on the forums is the instances things do not work as expected in getting the prior service enlistment opportunity. I've been associated with these forum since about 1998 and the didn't workout as expected or hoped seldom get disclosed. Never say never and never say always in such matters as exceptions do happen.
That is true, I am in fact hoping for an exception myself. I do not believe I am in the worst of odds, but nonetheless hoping.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The retraining process is an ordeal primarily because it is not the main entry classification manpower providing source. Prior service enlistment is less a desirable entry classification manpower providing source.

Even with the establishing the '1Z' Special Warfare career field, there will be four different specialties. While all being in the same career field may allow entry enlistment into the 1Z career field, rather than one of the specific specialties, it would be difficult to apply such apply for all and hope to get one methodology to the career enlisted force needs. FTA who retrain are seeking entry classification to fill career force shortfalls in specify unfilled manpower positions.

The reason for this is each of the specialties while having the most commonality in similar special qualification courses to obtain 3-skill level still have significantly different core occupational knowledge, skills, abilities, and other (KSAO) characteristics required for award of 3-, 5-, 7- and 9- skill level specialty coded PAFSC/CAFSC.

Retraining ceiling policy of: "Grade of E-5 or below with less than 10 years Total Active Federal Military Service (Total Federal Military Service for Reserve of the Air Force personnel)" also gives evidence the skill level upgrade training time and experience gained through years of performing duties is of such length of time it becomes impractical and unrealistic to catch up to perform expected duties.

Primary Air Force Specialty Code (PAFSC) — The awarded AFSC in which an individual is best qualified to perform duty. It will always be the AFSC with the highest skill level. [AFI 36-2101 Classifying Military Personnel (Officer and Enlisted), 25 June 2013. Incorporating Change 2, 9 March 2017]

Control Air Force Specialty Code (CAFSC) — A management tool used to make enlisted Airman assignments, to assist in determining training requirements, and to consider individuals for promotion. [AFI 36-2101 Classifying Military Personnel (Officer and Enlisted), 25 June 2013. Incorporating Change 2, 9 March 2017]

Went and talked to my CAA today. She said the only "Battle Field" Airman job on the shortfall list is EOD and that all others are manned correctly (or get the amount of candidates) and that SR CCT and PJ will be like the other non critically manned jobs and a first term Airman like me (6 year enlistee) will have to wait until my 5 year mark...

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Apparently there is a lack of familiarity with AFPD 10-35, Battlefield Airmen, 5 June 2017.

The BA initiative encompasses the following specific Air Force Specialty Codes (AFSC): Combat Rescue Officers (CRO, 13DXA), Special Tactics Officers (STO, 13CXB), Air Liaison Officers (ALO, 13LX), Pararescue (PJ, 1T2XX), Combat Control (CCT, 1C2XX), Tactical Air Control Party (TACP, 1C4XX) and Special Operations Weather Team (SOWT, 1W0X2).

The BA specialties are becoming the 1Z Special Warfare career field specialties.

Went and talked to my CAA today. She said the only "Battle Field" Airman job on the shortfall list is EOD and that all others are manned correctly (or get the amount of candidates) and that SR CCT and PJ will be like the other non critically manned jobs and a first term Airman like me (6 year enlistee) will have to wait until my 5 year mark...
I wonder if the Crossflow Retraining policy may assist you? You can find the memo under the “retraining information” tab on the home page. It does mention it was more so aimed at functionals releasing members from their current AFSC (NCORP III), but maybe?

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The use of "manned correctly" implies/suggests the specialty is healthy with no significant manpower overages or shortages at any skill level. rank/grade. It means the Air Force Recruiting service is pumping in sufficient recruits into the specialty that are successfully completing all training for award of 3-skill level AFSC 'and' sufficient FTA retention and career enlistment retention is also happening.

Policies may encourage functionals to release from one specialty to entry classify into another, but the gaining specialty still needs an available/vacant funded manpower authorization need to put the retrain applicant into.