[STO Hopeful] Hoping to submit phase 1 package in about a year

I grew up in the Hampton Roads area and my dad was in the Navy for 29 years. I was always interested in the military, but didn't apply for any of the academies because I had issues with running. Turns out, I had compartment syndrome, which I had successful surgery for in December 2018. I'm a current junior (non-ROTC) in the Boston area. I have been working with a USMC Officer Selection Officer for the last few months, who luckily, has worked with someone who had my condition and took the same steps and was able to get them through MEPS/BUMED.

I listened to a few PJ memoirs, looked up the pipeline online just out of curiosity, and discovered that there was actually a dedicated officer corps for them and for CCTs. I've always thought CCT was one of the most interesting and potentially impactful jobs in the military, so the idea that I could serve as an officer (#1 goal) and get that training and be involved in that community got me pretty hyped. I immediately looked up the pipeline for STOs and discovered that I could be selected and go to selection through the BASP. The nearest AFSPECWAR recruiter to me is in Providence, and I spoke to him over the phone for about half an hour. I'm currently out of shape compared to my high school football days, but I'm motivated and have already made serious progress. I came back from a semester in the Netherlands at 5' 9", 190lb in late December, and I'm already down below 180 currently. I'm feeling motivated, and the discipline is coming pretty easy.

I have my final followup with my surgeon from the compartment syndrome operation in May, he already knows my goals and that I'm doing well, and has already agreed to write me a glowing letter. I'll have a full paper trail from diagnosis, to surgery, through phsyio, and all the way to his final letter. I'll go to MEPS as soon as I have that letter in my hand. I'll get DQd, obviously, and then my recruiters will send the info to BUMED and the AFSG, respectively. My Marine OSO is confident that my full paper trail will be enough for me to get a waiver from BUMED, but I have found 0 info on how the AFSG looks at compartment syndrome. Both recruiters understand that with my condition the smartest choice is to hedge my bets, and neither the Air Force MSgt or the Marine OSO have an issue with that.

STO is definitely my top choice, and assuming I can get a waiver for the compartment syndrome sometime this summer, I'll submit a phase 1 package around this time next year. My intention is to train as if the top scores for the STO PAST are the minimums, and to also work myself up to rucking at a solid pace with big weight. At certain points in my life I've already been able to hit the top PAST standards, so I feel confident that with a year to train I can nail that, but the rucking is pretty intimidating. The official documentation for Phase II selection says to expect rucks of 10-12 miles with 50-70lb, but general advice I've heard is that to be competitive you should be able to hump 12 miles with 13-minute splits, with a 75lb load. I'm an experienced backpacker, but obviously not with that sort of weight at that sort of pace. I imagine that will be the biggest challenge in terms of training.

If there are any STOs or CROs active here who'd be willing to do some remote mentoring I'd be grateful. I know that mentorship is important, especially for someone like me without the structure of a USAFA prep program or an ROTC community.

Jay_Pew02

Welcome! You’re actually from my neck of the woods (me being from RI) and I know the SPECWAR recruiter in Providence very well. Keep at it man waivers can be a pain to get worked out but it can be done! Speaking as someone who was DQ’d then had to get a surgeon general waiver approval to get in.

Welcome! You’re actually from my neck of the woods (me being from RI) and I know the SPECWAR recruiter in Providence very well. Keep at it man waivers can be a pain to get worked out but it can be done! Speaking as someone who was DQ’d then had to get a surgeon general waiver approval to get in.
Thanks for the kind words, are you currently in the E pipeline?

Custom Text