Training, Now That I Know How to Train

Since a prior assessment, I’ve learned some things that I’d like to pass along to the community of those training for BA specialties.

Easy to Fix, Don’t Find Out the Hard Way

Treading water. Do not underestimate treading water, and how valuable it is that you can do so efficiently. Without a doubt, the eggbeater will be the most efficient kick for most of us, but I’d also say the most challenging to master as well. Being unable to tread water with your hands above your head is one of the easiest ways to receive a “failure to train”, but also one of the easiest skills to learn! (With PRACTICE). So understand that proper treading can be one of the easiest “make or break” events. Try doing it with booties on 😁. If you’re attending a phase II assessment, it will be a go/no go event.

Carry Weight, and Move Out!

Along with rucking, you’re going to want to be able to carry aprox 40lbs (was never actually told how much) in each hand and move out! Without too many details (that’ll take the fun out of it), make sure you add something to your training regime that incooperates this! I know the base gyms and pretty leinient when it comes to taking 45lb plates out to the track, so perhaps carry two around with you on your next ruck. Not only is it great practice, but it’ll totally work out your entire body!

TEAMWORK

So, this next one breaks away from the physical grind, but is not any less important. It can very well make or break you. Be a team player, be a leader, and know when to be a follower. I know as one attempting to become a BA Airman, there are plenty of A type personalities out there. It’s absoluely okay to be confident, but remember that we are always going to be working with others. The quicker your entire teams learns this, the easier of a time everyone will have. It will not take away underwaters, nor dismiss alternate watercon, but will take off loads of stress when it comes to making sure the team needs and goals are met. You have to trust each other, but also correct each other in a respectful manner and in the right time and place setting. I promise, you cannot be successful on your own. The cadre will tell you when the events are “individual events” (maybe it was a different term), but again, you will not be successful if you cannot work with your team.

Listening, and Asking

Assessment aside, this is a tough one for me at times on a personal level. Listening, and taking critisicm well is something you’re going to want to work on. Trust me, the cadre will make it very clear where you stand during the assessment. When you’re doing well, they’ll tell you, and when you suck, you’ll wish they didn’t. That being said, be open and willing to ask your teammates for critiques. And if they’re honest with you, listen and make the change. The same goes for when the cadre are giving you feedback, you can either let it crush you, or listen and don’t take it personal. Perhaps it’s something you can change, and maybe at times it won’t be. But just know that criticism is coming.

Last edited: