AD Marine, hoping to join

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

Im an active duty marine who attempted an inter service transfer but got denied unfortunately after going through MARSOC A&S and not getting selected. I am still looking forward to potentially joining the special warfare community when I EAS in 5 years, as daunting as that sounds. I would be in for 11 years at that point, so I am doing the best I can to still be proficient at my job while looking far ahead!

Last edited:
What about going MARSOC?
I did and unfortunately was not selected. I went ahead and edited my post to reflect.
They did not tell me much, but I was allowed to ask if I was peered out and they said no, so I feel like I did what I could and probably just was not competitive enough.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Peered out just means those candidates in consideration with you had no reason to dump on you. Peering is not a scientific assessment of abilities and potential as it depends on how well or badly your peers feel about you. Peer review is simply the final nail in the not the most suitable candidate being looked for when set back, recycle, or removal from consideration determinations are being considered.

Regardless, getting accepted to enlist to get into the AF Special Warfare career field through a prior service enlistment or OTS commissioning program has no peer out assessment component to worry about. Actual proficiency and competency readiness is a bit more complicated and difficult to explain or advise one about.

Last edited:
Good morning/afternoon/evening,

Im an active duty marine who attempted an inter service transfer but got denied unfortunately after going through MARSOC A&S and not getting selected. I am still looking forward to potentially joining the special warfare community when I EAS in 5 years, as daunting as that sounds. I would be in for 11 years at that point, so I am doing the best I can to still be proficient at my job while looking far ahead!
Hi, I would be really interested to know your USMC experience. I am the parent of a kid looking to enter the USMC delayed entry program this coming summer. His goal is ultimately MARSOC. He intends signing up for Infantry but as a parent I’m researching the Air Force as an alternative to the USMC. Aside from the lure of special operations what makes you want to join the AF? Thanks!

Hi, I would be really interested to know your USMC experience. I am the parent of a kid looking to enter the USMC delayed entry program this coming summer. His goal is ultimately MARSOC. He intends signing up for Infantry but as a parent I’m researching the Air Force as an alternative to the USMC. Aside from the lure of special operations what makes you want to join the AF? Thanks!

Ooh man where do I begin!
I'll start with this is ultimately my opinion and not the views of anyone else or the USMCs.

I looked at AFSPECWAR because of several reasons. I'll start with if your son has intentions for SOCOM to just go for that from the get go, which is readily available in every single branch besides the Corps. MARSOC is way more selective really because of manpower issue.

The funding is a well known joke but it's bad. Really bad. I never thought I'd be in a position to find out my unit or section might have to get their own TP because we're out of money. SOCOM and the air force get money thrown at them compared to the USMC. And frankly the Corps biggest problem just might be itself and how people are treated.

I can PM you with more info later. I do enjoy being a Marine and I believe my time in the Corps will make me appreciate the goals I'm trying to achieve now but if I went back in time I would just go for AFSPECWAR from the get go.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Manpower is directly connected to funding (Budget) and Force Structure manning authorizations limits imposed by U.S. Congress. It's further complicated by USMC's fundamental pillar philosophy there are no special marines as all are riflemen. This organizational philosophy is why its raider units and airborne units were disbanded rather quickly as the Second World War ended.

The four enlisted and three officer Special Warfare AFSCs' manning limits are much less than what MARSOC has. Making claim more selective based on number trying to get selected to selected and not selected is subjective unless human performance specifications and standards are used as the comparison.

I served 23 years active duty as a PJ and recall TP and other common use items being difficult to get because there was no money in the unit's budget. Many time's this happened because the officer's had no fiscal responsibility or failed to submit a properly thought-out operations, training, maintenance and housekeeping (toilet paper) budget request for the next fiscal year and had to start pinching pennies.

MARSOC has a complicated back history as to how it was established to include the creation of and implementation of the 0321 Primary MOS of Reconnaissance Marine (Infantry) in 1997 and subsequently creation of the 0372 Primary MOS of Critical Skills Operator.

Custom Text