AFSC Guidance(CRO)

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to see if anyone could share with me some expertise. I am trying to decide on a specific goal to follow. Every since I was a little kid I knew I wanted to be in the military. In middle school I learned about the service academies and decided that I want to work towards attending one. I am now a Junior in highschool so it really is close to being decision time. I don't want to sound boastful but I really think I have a shot at being accepted to an academy. I am a 4.0 student and I have all the right qualifications (Civil Air Patrol, Eagle Scout, Varsity Athlete, Etc.). Ever since I have made it my goal to attend an academy, I have worked my butt off to be accepted, time will tell if I do; my dilemma now is that I don't know what I want to do.

I know a few things, I want to be an officer because I firmly believe it would be a better fit for me and I don't want to work a computer specific job because that is not my passion. In addition to that I love challenges so I believe a "Special Forces" Specialty code might be the optimal choice. This may not exactly be the right thing to say considering this is an AF forum but I have not even decided on a branch/a specific academy. My top Speciality code is actually in the AFSOC. In the Air Force specifically, I believe there are 3 main AFSC options (CRO, STO, SOWT-O) My number one overall choice for an AFSC for the last few years has been to become a CRO. I love the concept of being able to actually help people who really need it. I think this may be the route I want to take. I have one teeny little problem. I have a healthy fear of failure. Becoming a CRO is not a walk in the park. From what I understand I can do my best and not fail out and then not be selected in the end.

If I am accepted and attend the USAFA what is the process like to become a CRO? And if I can do it what do my chances look like?

And more importantly, what happens if I do fail or don't pass? I am specifically concerned about having to move to a AFSC that requires extensive computer work.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge!

P.S. I am not sensitive so if I said something wrong, inaccurate or just plain stupid please feel free to call me out.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Special Forces (an Army Branch linked to 18 series MOS) and special operations forces (a collective of miltary occupation specialties and units provided by all the military services) are not exactly mirrors of each other.

SOWT-O AFSC was discontinued ten years or more ago. The enlisted AFSC was reengineered into Special Reconnaissance. No officer AFSC. The Air Force options are CRO, STO and TACP-O. Only STO is unique to AFSOC.

The info found at Know the Difference: Special Warfare Enlisted vs Officer may be useful to you.

Custom Text