CCT

I’ve been wanting to pursue CCT career field for sometime now but it seems that the information of what the CCT entails is starting to get blurred. I guess I’ve been getting information on what CCT used to do ( JTAC role, attaching to other SOF units etc.) and it seems that there has been a change as they are moving away from these roles and going back to their old ones with everything ATC. Can new CCTs still be able to get a JTAC role and also attach to other teams, also if not, I just want a general outlook of what they will be doing with the ATC role from here on out? Thank you.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
I lack insufficient current status of the occupation specialty to speculate. However, CCT primary task and mission purpose was never connected to the JTAC role.

Tactical Air Control Parties since the Second World War was close air support with the TACP occupation specialty known as ROMADs coming to existence in 1977 that expanded into Enlisted Tactical Air Control (ETAC) duties during the 1980s that subsequently became JTAC qualifications and certifications.

Combat Control Teams initial mission and task purpose when they first appeared 1952/3 was to provide navigation assistance into and out of LZ and to establish ATC at austere airfields. Regardless CCT has a JTAC history going back to the 1960s so your guess is as good as mine other than I suspect they will continue to provide a JTAC capability when attached to other teams.

WR

Operator
The biggest change of recent is the withdrawal from Afghanistan, which was a big JTAC requirement for CCT. The ATC portion you speak of and Yukon’s description of combat control working ATC and austere airfields has been enduring and has never stopped being a task, falling squarely into the “global access” mission set. CCT personnel still attach as a JTAC to other SOF teams, but the frequency of this need is always changing. Special Warfare personnel still deploy and operate as unilateral teams for austere airfield environments as well as execute SOF core activities. The specific task and mission one individual would receive upon finishing the pipeline is impossible to determine, as it would be unit dependent (I.e. OCONUS locations vs CONUS unit tasks) and geopolitical dependent. Additionally, if you haven’t started the pipeline yet, you’re looking 2+ years down the road to try and determine what the biggest demand will be and what deployment locations look like.

I recommend you continue to do your research about AFSPECWARs missions as a whole (this site + many others out there for past and present), understand that the Air Force and its careerfields are constantly evolving, speak to an AFSPECWAR recruiter for specifics and prep/development, understand the differences between the job types, and be ready to execute the challenging tasks in front of you upon getting to an operational unit.

Custom Text