Desperate helps needed for STO PAST!

About me:

Tried STO PAST last Dec, failed push-ups and pull-ups, I just realised for a long time all my push-ups were wrong form, my back was sagging and arm didn't form acute angle, couldn't do single dead hang pull-ups as well.

Kept working out for 6 mo for now, can finish 12 standard pull-ups, but after 50 push-ups, back is too tired to keep straight, arms become super sore and even I can squeeze 64, each time was beyond 2 min.

If I do single 1500m swimming without fin, can finish under 26min, as well as solo 3 miles, which can be done under 20 min.

Push-ups is my hardest enemy, what should I do? I also tried different pace, just cannot finish that much under 2 min...

Do you do also do close-grip and wide-grip pushups? Have you thought about completing the PJ/CCT/SOWT Preparation Guide? Close-grips work the inner pectoral muscle, wide-grip work the outer pectoral muscle. Both can help you get your max up. Also do you do dive bombers?

Coach AN

Strength and Conditioning Coach
Operator
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted by heavyrain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About me:

Tried STO PAST last Dec, failed push-ups and pull-ups, I just realised for a long time all my push-ups were wrong form, my back was sagging and arm didn't form acute angle, couldn't do single dead hang pull-ups as well.

Kept working out for 6 mo for now, can finish 12 standard pull-ups, but after 50 push-ups, back is too tired to keep straight, arms become super sore and even I can squeeze 64, each time was beyond 2 min.

If I do single 1500m swimming without fin, can finish under 26min, as well as solo 3 miles, which can be done under 20 min.

Push-ups is my hardest enemy, what should I do? I also tried different pace, just cannot finish that much under 2 min...</div></div>

Good news and bad news brother. The bad news is you're simply too weak in your trunk (not to be confused with your abs, but rather, your entire stabilizing system from the base of your neck to the base of your pelvis). The good news is this is a simple(ish) fix. Right now you're focusing too much on the target of doing more push ups and pull-ups. The question you should be asking yourself is, "what is being tested with this movement and how can I improve upon that." The answer would then be - your ability to maintain proper posture and position while completing a basic upper body movement pattern (i.e. horizontal press-push-up, or vertical pull as in the pull-up). So then, how do you improve upon this? You challenge your ability to hold posture and position with increasing loads, including concentric, eccentric and isometric movements in all planes of motion while simultaneously building your tensile strength and power to make body weight movement (even loaded movement for that matter) easier. The reason i say that this is "simple-ish" is that it doesn't happen overnight and will require commitment and consistency on your part. If you want to know how to train to improve your athleticism, jump on team ST and build the foundation you need to train at an operator level.

-Coach AN

Custom Text