Intro - Civ to STO

Hello,

I am currently a civilian working in the defense industry while attending school for my M.S. in ECE(Electrical and Computer Engineering). I've come to the conclusion that I would regret it if I continued my currently lifestyle and never got out my of cubicle and did something more worthwhile. I've laid out a long term plan and believe it to be achievable. I'm currently 26 and within the minimum level of OTS training standards having just started training, over the next 9 months I plan on becoming much more competitive physically.

My current plan is as follow:
1. Finish my Master over the next 9 months while training for OTS.
2. Apply to become Space Operations Officer to gain military and leadership experience.
3. Complete OTS and begin military life as an SOO.
3. After two to four years, depending on "career field’s manning requirements"[app], begin the application process for STO.
4. Successfully complete Phase II and begin training to become an STO.

Hopefully this plan is within reason and that are no major misconceptions on my part when it comes to the process for becoming an STO. Any issues I may not be recognizing or additional specific advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
DS

WR

Operator
ds_stf,

Good luck in your OTS path, the "training" that you need for OTS is essentially being able to pass an Air Force PT test. If you are in any kind of shape you should be fine, especially if you are talking about going STO. That being said, currently OTS has met its quota for accessions for FY2019, so they are not currently planning on starting any more boards until next year, per a Memorandum for Record from Air Force Recruiting Service. I would imagine the earliest time to apply to OTS boards would be early 2019, and that is not saying when you would be accepted and what your class date is. I am unfamiliar with Space Operations Officer, so I can't give advice on that one, I am not familiar at all with that career field's manning requirements.

I'd recommend keeping an eye on your timelines. Sounds like with those timelines you would be assessing Phase 2 between 29-34 years old. Keep fit, be aware that you will be assessed on your leadership, being a current officer, as well as your perceived ability to withstand the rigors of the long pipeline that would follow should you get picked up.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help answer any additional questions

--WR
9 year CCT
OTS Class 18-05 - STO

WR,

Thanks for the heads up on FY2019, I guess the only thing for me to do now is try to get my application to be as strong as possible by then.

I actually have another question regarding corrected vision. I currently wouldn't be able to pass the vision requirement(Without squinting really hard, I assume this would disqualify me) so it would seem like my options are to get PRK now or after I join. The pros of getting it done now is the timing a known quantity, there's no real application or waiting process, I simply pay the doctor and I get the procedure. The issues being I would want to apply to OTS within the year( ~6-10 months). Would this disqualify me assuming I have a full recovery letter from my ophthalmologist? Some research says a year after a surgery, some says 6 months, is there a strict time or just make sure I'm good to go and get a waiver?

The second option is to graduate OTS with my glasses and get PRK done from a military doctor. This seems like a good approach because then I know everything is being done to a certain acceptable standard and I should have little issue with my STO application. The downside is I am not sure what the timeline is for an officer getting surgery done if their current role does not require it, especially if they have no seniority. Any idea what the timeline is like for a newly commissioned officer to get eye surgery an a priority III candidate?

Regards,
DS

WR

Operator
ds_stf,

Agreed, just keep up with a recruiter to get updates as they come in with OTS and boards. https://www.airforceots.com might have some info on the forums that may help you out

I can't speak much about medical waivers with PRK, that question would be better directed toward a recruiter. Same with eye surgery priorities, I'm unfamiliar with the process.

--WR

Custom Text