Medical Waiver vs. AF SW & sister school specific Waiver

Hello, I’ve tried scouring through the internet to find more info on medical waivers, but the only thing I can find is DoD documents. I also understand it’s all case by case and there’s no way to find definitive answers other than the docs.

Question is, if my medical waivers were approved for the initial paperwork before MEPS, do they just mean approved for “general service” or is there a SW specific waiver like Navy? If there is, did your SW recruiter know which one(s) they got approval for you?
My recruiter said that once approved (unsure whether it’s for general or SW), it means I’m eligible for all the schools involved in the pipeline but wanted to get more insight from people here.

Thank you in advance for any info!

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Probably just for enlistment as you do not mention having DD Form 2992, Medical Recommendation for Flying or Special Operational Duty.

Furthermore, the most recent DAFMAN 48-123, discloses the waiver authority for Static Line, Free Fall, HALO, Jump Master, Initial AFSC Entry is AFRS/CMO.

5.2.3.5. SWA Medical Standards. SWA are a defined group of SOD AFSCs. They are currently governed by DAFPD 10-35, Battlefield Airmen, which identifies affected AFSCs. The AFOCD and the AFECD serve as the formal requirements for the AFSC duties and training requirement. The service member must meet USAF medical standards required of their AFSCs as identified in the respective AFOCD or AFECD. (T1). Additionally, these AFSCs need to meet medical clearance standards of required training fulfilled by other military service schools. Staff performing these clearance exams should be familiar with the other military service school’s requirements at the time of the exam. Medical standards that apply to these AFSCs are in the SWA column of the MSD. Additionally, specific AFSC shreds may drive specific training medical clearances. For example: combat controller AFECD requires attendance at dive + airborne + free fall schools to be fully qualified. Each school has its own medical clearance standard. For instance, the tactical air control party (TACP) AFECD requires airborne training to be fully qualified. Airborne school is with the Army and has its own medical clearance standard.

Hi Yukon, thanks always for your valuable input.
Do you know if AF SW recruiters obtain or apply for SWA and sister school (especially Army Airborne as my waivers are for joint surgeries history) waivers before BMT? Or other if the recruiters don’t know, how would one obtain DD form 2992?

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Well, as I retired in 1996 I just be speculating on what exist in publicly available guidance. Such forms DD form 2992 would be filed in my medical record which didn't get created in my day until reporting to BMT. Everything is pretty much digital these days and medical exams for initial AFSC entry (at least for the SW AFSCs) appear to be done prior to reporting to BMT, so I have no clue as to what forms they give you during the accession process, but your recruiter should give you the definitive answer.

Meeting SWA Medical Standards is required for Initial AFSC entry for the four 1Z AFSCs (PJ, CCT, SR, TACP). So if your medical waiver(s) clear you for initial AFSC entry, you be good to go.

The AFRS, recruiters, SW recruiters do not manage the pipeline. Their job is to get a person into BMT and the A&S course. They do this by enlisting you with a Special Warfare contract. While not a contract for initial AFSC entry, it is a contract for the enlisted AFSCs in the enlisted special warfare (1Z) career field which are: PJ, CCT, SR, TACP.

Ok, please correct me if I’m wrong: so getting waivers granted and processed through MEPS & Flight Physical III after BMT only guarantees a contract to go to A & S, but not necessarily the tech or pipeline schools. That’s only done through initial AFSC entry, which these days are done prior to BMT.

Once the the initial AFSC is granted, and no medical issues arise (that’s not been addressed in waivers), am I correctly understanding that the waivers are good to go for all schools including Airborne? I’m looking into SWOE or 1Z field as you’ve said (which I’ve already got the approval from my developer and SW recruiter) hence why I’m worried especially about Airborne due to waivers are for the lower extremities

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The waivers are good for all the for all the schools, providing you report to BMT with the SOWE and successfully complete AFSPECWAR Assessment and Selection.

AFSPECWAR Assessment & Selection - AF Special Warfare

Selection Phase- 1.5 weeks: Following the field phase, candidates will begin cleanup and will be administered tests, surveys, critiques and interviews. Instructors will compile all relevant information and select only those candidates that meet the desired career field attributes. Enlisted candidates will then be given their specific job titles- Pararescue, Combat Control, or Special Recon, based on their performance and desired preference. (See our SWOE-V article for more information.)

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
There are add'l screening procedures at SWCC (formerly prep) to ensure you are medically cleared, such as color vision. The MEPS method of color vision is outdated and only considered an initial screener.

Replying to:

There are add'l screening procedures at SWCC (formerly prep) to ensure you are medically cleared, such as color vision. The MEPS method of color vision is outdated and only considered an initial screener.
Sir,
In regards to color vision, are minor deficiency waivers available for members who are prior service/currently serving?

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
A legitimate but very frustrating question to answer. Available is more appropriately possible as it's not a question of a quantity of a type of waiver being available. Thus the frustration as there is guidance on what can be considered for a medical waiver, but the problem is the determination is made by a physician qualified and authorized to make such determination. Nobody here does the medical examinations to make such determinations.

Medical Eligibility - AF Special Warfare

Custom Text