Prior enlisted, looking to commission

Hello,

I am prior enlisted of 10 years and separated May 2020 to finish my degree. I’ve completed it and also passed the AFOQT. Since those got knocked out, I’ve been working with a developer and a recruiter to come back in. I am open to the enlisted positions, however, I very much would like to be a STO or TACPO. I asked my recruiter how my slot would be handled and he didn’t seem to have an answer for me. If I enter as enlisted again, I’d be prior service and those are limited slots. However, if I commission, would I be assessed as prior enlisted or would I be assessed as a new guy since I’ve never been commissioned? Finally, from civilian-to-STO (as far as even making it to Phase 2) I’m being told is a 2% chance. Is this verified at all? Any insight on the matter would be great. Thanks!

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The only commission option available due to age and civilian status (prior service) is OTS. Being assessed as prior enlisted doesn't enter into consideration process as its not a qualification requirement for commission or entry into an officer utilization field. The only advantage is current enlisted holding a 1Z occupation specialty code trying to transition from enlisted to officer through the AF enlisted commissioning program into OTS with no break in service and there is no assurances offered to anybody this will happen.

The AF has no assurances or guarantee methods or procedures to offer you an entry into the any of the officer 1Z Special Warfare Utilization Fields based on your prior service status and currently being a civilian. Your OTS potential to obtain entry classification into any of the three 1Z Special Warfare Utilization AFSCs (CRO, STO, TACP-O) is 2% or less.

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
I'm not sure where the 2% comes from. I'm not sure it would be that high if you have a qualifying PAST test.

It sounds like you need to talk to a different recruiter. If they don't know, they should be finding out for you. Ensure you are talking to a Special Warfare recruiter. And if you already are, ask for their supervisor to help find out these answers.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The 2% would come from the Air Force demand (need) to acquire new personnel for the utilization field through the OTS commissioning program. Considering the numbers of new non-rated officers needed in comparison to the other utilization fields and other factors the 2% is probably high and was probably provided to indicate a slim chance (opportunity) exists.

One would need to know the year group acquisition goal for both OTS and the specific officer utilization field to get a precise opportunity percentage. There is a priority rack and stack through three different commission training programs, Air Force Academy, University Air Force Reserve Training programs (ROTC), and OTS. It's essential a try or try not opportunity for this individual requiring acceptance into the OTS commissioning program, followed by getting acceptance through a Phase 1 application process. Guidance is put out each year, current CRO/STO is AF SpecWarfare Officer FY21 Application-CAO 24 Feb 2020.pdf (afspecialwarfare.com). POC contact info is provided.

Civilians: It is Air Force policy that civilian college graduates and civilian college seniors within 12 months of graduation from an accredited school will be eligible to be placed on active duty under the Special Warfare Airman Program (SWAP) for the purpose of completing Phase II selection process if the civilian completes Phase I of the STO/CRO selection process. After successful completion of Phase II, the SWAP participant will remain contracted in SWAP and will attend Officer Training School (OTS) prior to beginning initial skills training. Individuals interested begin the process by contacting an active duty Air Force Special Operations Recruiter (SOR) in their local area. Civilian recruits must meet the following criteria to be eligible: - Be between 18 and 39 years of age at the time of commissioning. - Possess a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale for all college-level studies, as well as their academic major, and be in good academic standing (i.e. not be on probation at time of enlistment) - Attain a minimum score of 15 on the verbal and 10 on the quantitative sections of the AFOQT. No exceptions to policy will be entertained for scores that do not meet the minimum requirements. -Provide, through his/her school, official transcripts of his/her completed course work. College seniors must provide an official letter from the school, certified by the university/college registrar, indicating courses taken by academic term, which verifies degree to be awarded and graduation to coincide with the SWAP. College graduates must provide a copy of his/her college graduation degree and certified copy of official transcripts from the university/college registrar. - Those selected at Phase II will have to complete Officer Training School (OTS) prior to beginning STO/CRO training. Phase II selection does not guarantee acceptance into OTS. The OTS application process is separate from Phase I and Phase II. The SOR and/or SWAP Program Manager will provide the application, information and OTS requirements needed at the conclusion of Phase II. - Interested civilians should contact the SWAP Program Manager @ 330RCS.OL-E.BASP@us.af.mil for further details.
Current TACP-O is TACP Officer Application Instructions FY21.pdf (afspecialwarfare.com)

Civilians may now apply to become a TACP Officer through the Battlefield Airman Sponsor Program his/her prior career field. (BASP) and will apply through an Air Force Special Operations Recruiter (SOR). It is Air Force policy that civilian college graduates and civilian college seniors within 12 months of graduation from an accredited school will be eligible to be placed on active duty under the BASP for the purpose of completing Phase II selection process if the civilian completes Phase I of the TACP Officer Selection process. The SOR and BASP program manager is responsible for gathering and submitting TACP OFFICER A&S documents. After successful completion of Phase II, the BASP participant will remain contracted in BASP and will attend Officer Training School (OTS) prior to beginning initial skills training. Individuals interested begin the process by contacting an active duty Air Force Special Operations Recruiter (SOR) in their local area. Civilian recruits must meet the 5 following criteria to be eligible: o Be between 18 and 39 years of age at the time of commissioning o Possess a minimum 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale for all college-level studies, as well as their academic major, and be in good academic standing (i.e. not be on probation at time of enlistment) o Attain a minimum score of 15 on the verbal and 10 on the quantitative sections of the AFOQT. No exceptions to policy will be entertained for scores that do not meet the minimum requirements. o Provide, through his/her school, official transcripts of his/her completed course work. College seniors must provide an official letter from the school, certified by the university/college registrar, indicating courses taken by academic term, which verifies degree to be awarded and graduation to coincide with the BASP. College graduates must provide a copy of his/her college graduation degree and certified copy of official transcripts from the university/college registrar. o Those selected at Phase II, will have to complete Officer Training School (OTS) prior to beginning TACP OFFICER training. Phase II selection does not guarantee acceptance into OTS. The OTS application process is separate from Phase I and Phase II. The SOR and/or BASP Program Manager will provide the application, information and requirements needed at the conclusion of Phase II. Interested civilians should contact the BASP Program Manager @ 330RCS.OL-E.BASP@us.af.mil for further details.

Custom Text