SOF TACP

Hi all,

I initially thought that my aspirations were in CCT, however, after much thought, I'm very much leaning towards TACP for a number of reasons. One of the most compelling reasons for my change of thought is the possibility of becoming a SOF TACP. From the research I've done and from talking to others, I know that SOF TACP positions are only open to those who are already TACP's. Knowing that TACP's are not initially considered special operations as their primary role is to support conventional forces, I'm intrigued by the notion that TACP's have the opportunity to enter Special Tactics and be a Special Operations JTAC, supporting other SOF, granted they make it through the Assessment & Selection process and meet the eligibility requirements.

I'm fully aware that I haven't even started my career in the Air Force yet and have a long way to go, but my question is if a TACP were to go the SOF TACP route, will they fall under the umbrella of Air Force Special Warfare alongside their CCT, PJ, & SR brethren? Additionally, I'm aware that a SOF TACP's position at a Special Tactics Squadron is limited. After their time at a STS is complete, do they have opportunities to continue their career in SOF or must they return back to the conventional side? I've read about Air Support Operations Flights on http://www.jointterminalattackcontroller.com/ and how they support Special Forces directly but I wasn't able to find any additional information on that.

Forgive me for the long winded question and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It's under my impression that CCT does the same thing as JTAC's as far as connecting to other SOF.

I'm no expert nor am I an operator of any kind, but if you desire to work with other SOF, why not join a different SOF?

From talking with other people and the administrators on this forum, not all CCT's are JTAC qualified, nor do all CCT's maintain a JTAC qualification throughout their entire career. JTAC is really the field I want to be in, and from what I've learned, it's "guaranteed" for TACP. (Guaranteed meaning making it through the pipeline and follow on training and such)

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
The simple answer to--"but my question is if a TACP were to go the SOF TACP route, will they fall under the umbrella of Air Force Special Warfare alongside their CCT, PJ, & SR brethren?"--is yes. The complication is SOF-TACP is a duty assignment position for those awarded the enlisted TACP specialty code or the TACP-officer specialty code. JTAC is a qualification/certification that lacks any occupational frame work other than it is a qual/cert currently required for award and retention of TACP 5-skill level , 7-level, 9-level AFSCs. CCT are also authorized obtaining and sustaining JTAC qual/Cert.

For the past 40 or more decades both TACP and CCT enlisted specialties have been in the Command and Control careeerfield. It is expected a new never previously existing Career Field, 1Z Special Warfare, will be established October 2019. When this happens Combat Control, Pararescue, Special Reconnaissance, and TACP will be enlisted specialties in this new 1Z Special Warfare career Field. Also will be under the same umbrella of each specificity having occupational framework of Tier 2 occupational specific fitness standards and testing and a common Special Warfare Screening and Selection process that was implemented this year with the Special Warfare Assessment and Selection Course for entry classification at completion of Basic Training and the various cross training assessments programs being consolidated.

A word of caution concerning training being guaranteed. The guarantee extends only to being put into training, the service member has the obligation of successfully completing all required training. Simply the guarantee doesn't prevent the service member from voluntary self elimination from training, failure to train or medical disqualification elimination (technically failure to obtain and sustain mandatory required Tier 2 occupational-specific fitness is a medical disqualification).

While not clear and concise in giving an answer, all in the TACP Specialty regardless of conventional or nonconventional duty assignment will fall under the 1Z Special Warfare career field umbrella.

Thank you Yukon.

Will SOF TACP's be able to continue their careers in SOF after their duty assignment at an STS is complete? Or will they be transitioned back into the conventional force/ACC?

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Difficult to assure, but it has been doable for at least a decade. The limiting factor is Unit Manning Document (UMD) having a position to move into as one gains rank.

Custom Text