Standards after the PAST

Hey guys. I'm no prior service. I'm 30 years old and about to take the SWOE PAST tomorrow. Hoping I pass the test, I'm wondering what are the standards (pull ups, sit ups, push ups, swim, run) that I should shoot for next? What are the numbers the USAF want me to be at come basic and A&S Prep course? I want to hit A&S in full stride physically. Thank you

Last edited:

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
E-Pubs indicates the publications identifying the requirement are in rewrite, but a physical fitness certification (meaning a test) once 3-skill level or higher is awarded doesn't exceed 18 months. As far as basic and A&S is concerned current info is found at Air Force Special Warfare updates entrance standards with new PAST test.

Physical Fitness Certification (PFC) has purpose of ensuring personnel achieve and maintain physical strength and endurance necessary to perform mission tasks. Generally, the accomplishing of required proficiency, currency, and upgrade qualification training will reveal a lack of adequate fitness problem before the physical fitness certification test will.

Inability to obtain physical fitness certification causes the individual to be in Non-Training (NT) status. This status results from failure to meet designated requirements. No training will be conducted until requirements are met. NT currencies are go/no-go items for all training events except those necessary to prepare for an overdue or failed recurring certification. (T-2).

Coach AN

Strength and Conditioning Coach
Operator
Hey guys. I'm no prior service. I'm 30 years old and about to take the SWOE PAST tomorrow. Hoping I pass the test, I'm wondering what are the standards (pull ups, sit ups, push ups, swim, run) that I should shoot for next? What are the numbers the USAF want me to be at come basic and A&S Prep course? I want to hit A&S in full stride physically. Thank you
I hope the PAST went well. Once you are over that hurdle, your best bet is to focus on developing athleticism and durability. If your focus is simply about increasing calisthenics, run and swim, you will be significantly unbalanced from a strength and conditioning standard. Along the lines of what Yukon said, you will be tested to a much higher level during your training events. These events require you be strong, fast and have the aerobic capacity to keep going. The several hundred pound log you and your team will be carrying doesn't give a shit how many pull-ups you did that day. But your team will be extremely disappointed if you have to drop out from under it and force them to carry your load.

WARNING: this is a shameless self-plug, but...Team ST (link should be at the bottom or top of this page) is designed specifically to build the broad range of athleticism and durability needed to get through A&S and set you up for success in the pipeline and a strong career if you make it all the way to graduation.

The PAST is only the beginning.

Coach AN

E-Pubs indicates the publications identifying the requirement are in rewrite, but a physical fitness certification (meaning a test) once 3-skill level or higher is awarded doesn't exceed 18 months. As far as basic and A&S is concerned current info is found at Air Force Special Warfare updates entrance standards with new PAST test.

Physical Fitness Certification (PFC) has purpose of ensuring personnel achieve and maintain physical strength and endurance necessary to perform mission tasks. Generally, the accomplishing of required proficiency, currency, and upgrade qualification training will reveal a lack of adequate fitness problem before the physical fitness certification test will.

Inability to obtain physical fitness certification causes the individual to be in Non-Training (NT) status. This status results from failure to meet designated requirements. No training will be conducted until requirements are met. NT currencies are go/no-go items for all training events except those necessary to prepare for an overdue or failed recurring certification. (T-2).
Thank you for passing along the info. Much appreciated.

I hope the PAST went well. Once you are over that hurdle, your best bet is to focus on developing athleticism and durability. If your focus is simply about increasing calisthenics, run and swim, you will be significantly unbalanced from a strength and conditioning standard. Along the lines of what Yukon said, you will be tested to a much higher level during your training events. These events require you be strong, fast and have the aerobic capacity to keep going. The several hundred pound log you and your team will be carrying doesn't give a shit how many pull-ups you did that day. But your team will be extremely disappointed if you have to drop out from under it and force them to carry your load.

WARNING: this is a shameless self-plug, but...Team ST (link should be at the bottom or top of this page) is designed specifically to build the broad range of athleticism and durability needed to get through A&S and set you up for success in the pipeline and a strong career if you make it all the way to graduation.

The PAST is only the beginning.

Coach AN
Makes sense. Thanks a lot for that info. Unfortunately, the PAST was pushed back due to capacity limits from Covid. Hopefully I can get in on the next one. Don't mind the shameless plug at all. I've been exclusively training for PAST exercises and look forward to different strength building exercises that will help me through the SWOE pipeline. All the best. Perhaps talk to you following my PAST.

Hey Coach AN - one additional question for you, since you've been helpful. Are there any age restrictions/limitations that I should know about enlisting at the age of 30? I have aspirations for PJ, but I'd be happy just to serve in the SW unit. I have a college degree (in case that's relevant for achieving certain positions within SW and their required timelines).
Much appreciated.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Pursuit for diversity within the US Armed Forces has pretty much eliminated age disqualifications for entry classification (job entry) and assignment actions other than what U.S. Congress has placed in Federal statues. Eligibility is pretty mush determined by Total Force fitness dimensions. General considerations are explained at Total Force Fitness.

The specific AFSC description in the AFECD and AFOCD gives a bit more specifics. But much of the screening for suitableness to undertake full wartime missions specific to the specialty and perform tasks in various operational environments is why the formal AFSPECWAR Assessment and Selection course exists.

As far as specific age ceilings (cutoffs), Military age limits for 2021 provides a consolidation of what is in Federal Statutes, DOD policies, and service specific policies.

Pursuit for diversity within the US Armed Forces has pretty much eliminated age disqualifications for entry classification (job entry) and assignment actions other than what U.S. Congress has placed in Federal statues. Eligibility is pretty mush determined by Total Force fitness dimensions. General considerations are explained at Total Force Fitness.

The specific AFSC description in the AFECD and AFOCD gives a bit more specifics. But much of the screening for suitableness to undertake full wartime missions specific to the specialty and perform tasks in various operational environments is why the formal AFSPECWAR Assessment and Selection course exists.

As far as specific age ceilings (cutoffs), Military age limits for 2021 provides a consolidation of what is in Federal Statutes, DOD policies, and service specific policies.
Awesome. Thanks very much. Checking out the links. Amazing the different answers I found in different places.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
It's not what you can do today, it's how likely you are able to sustain readiness to do next week, next month, next year. As Air Force uses 4-year and six year enlistment options, the predictive assessment factors (based on modeling analysis of operational and mission scenarios) considers will you still have total force fitness after the two years it takes to get you trained and assigned to the first line unit and at least two years afterwards (2 plus 2 =4).

At age 30 just starting your first enlistment you will be at least 32 before you become eligible to retrain out of current enlisted AFSC into an enlisted 1Z AFSC. Getting accepted into an Airman Commissioning program (enlisted to officer) is a competitive process and unlikely to occur early in an entry (initial) enlistment prior to obtaining award of 5-skill level. Both paths require getting selected through the AFSPECWAR Assessment and Selection process.

Custom Text