Suggestions for improving underwaters

What’s the “best” or preferred way to improve my underwaters? I can do the requirements for the PAST but they don’t come easy to me. 6-8 strokes and probably 1:15-1:20 to complete. I’ve seen that I should be able to do them on a 1:30 interval which I doubt I could sustain. No for long at least. What can I do to improve and progress towards being about to do them more easily?

Should I do breath holds throughout the day following charts?
Just more reps? I know I’m not in the pool often enough currently.
Could it just be mental/confidence? I do feel a little panicked so I’m sure that’s a factor

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
Could be a myriad of things- your form, breath hold ability, mental block. If you have the ability, post your underwater form.

Is it 6 strokes or 8 strokes? It's a big difference. 6 strokes is pretty good. 8 is likely too many. Also 1:15-120 sounds excessive. Most do the underwater portion between :30-:35 seconds and are back at the wall between :55 and 1:05.

Could be a myriad of things- your form, breath hold ability, mental block. If you have the ability, post your underwater form.

Is it 6 strokes or 8 strokes? It's a big difference. 6 strokes is pretty good. 8 is likely too many. Also 1:15-120 sounds excessive. Most do the underwater portion between :30-:35 seconds and are back at the wall between :55 and 1:05.
The 1:15-1:20 was for total time, underwater and surface swim back. I did some research online with some YouTube videos looking at form more and think I’m closer to 1:00-1:05 now with 6 strokes, maybe a half stroke at the end. I will work on getting a video uploaded.

I guess ultimately where should I be at on my abilities with them? 5@1:30 interval or “all day” @ 1:30 interval?
And is the 50 underwater still a requirement for later? Saw conflicting stories about it.
Thank you!

Jay_Pew02

When talking about UW’s, I love to reference this video:

A lot of things to note here, how streamline he maintains his body, how powerful and fluid his strokes are, and also how long he glides for. All these contributes to how many strokes/how long it takes to get to the other side. Even at my prime in the pipeline I was consistently at 7 strokes. I think it depends on your height a little bit too as to where you’re stroke count will be. Also recommend expediting the free style back, not sprinting, but moving with a sense of urgency to you can get the needed rest.

SW Predive standards include being able to do 8x 1:30 25m UW reps, and doing a 50m is also included. The 50 is also a dive school requirement.

Can’t speak to ANS water con requirements (got in before ANS was a thing) but if you can goal yourself at working up to 8x 1:30 25m, you are at a very good place: But get to wherever you can safely is the most important thing.

Custom Text