SWOE w/Greencard

AFSPECWAR requirements detail US Citizenship. However the AirForce Manual (published 27-SEP-2019) states US Citizenship requirements includes permanent residence (greencard holder) per 3.6.1.1.1.

3.6.1.1. A non-prior service applicant must be a United States citizen or:
  • 3.6.1.1.1. An alien lawfully admitted into the US for permanent residency in accordance with 8 USC § 1101(a)(20), 8 USC § 1401 et seq, 10 USC § 504, and 10 USC § 12102. (T-0)
However does SWOE require additional requirements not published, that contradict the possibility of A&S as a PJ operator? I have spent most of my life in the US, born in South Africa.. there is no conflict of interest here.

Thanks to anyone who can provide any guidance.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
A security clearance is a entry classification (job placement) requirement. Need to go through a recruiter to get an answer specific to your citizen status and getting the required security clearance.

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
The only AFSW requirements i see being an issue is the aforementioned security clearance (secret requirement for most, top secret for SR) and having a driver's license. I assume you have the last one.

More importantly, i think you are reading the cited paragraph incorrectly....

3.6.1. Citizenship Requirement

3.6.1.1.A non-prior service applicant must be a United States citizen (citizens of the Northern Mariana Islands are considered United States citizens) or:

3.6.1.1.1. An alien lawfully admitted into the United States for permanent residence in accordance with 8 USC § 1101(a)(20), 8 USC § 1401 et seq, 10 USC § 504, and 10 USC § 12102. (T-0)
3.6.1 being titled 'citizenship requirement' doesn't really mean that anything under that headline is considered an actual US citizen to the military. A cursory google search shows that a US resident (but non-citizen) are typically not given security clearances.

Again as Yukon has advised, i would double check this w/ a recruiter. They are the experts.

Appreciate the feedback - this was a corner case where recruiters were able to say you don't check the box, but are not definitive to why. I was able to escalate this to be sure there was no way and that it really was 'not possible.' The requirement for SF is not citizenship, as the above text defines "US Citizenship" to encompass one of many immigration statutes.. However unpublished to the public is the requirement to obtain secret clearance the day slotted (green card holders cannot begin or quality A&S and apply citizenship later). I would get citizenship while in the pipeline and by the time i graduate, but realistically I cannot start it without the ability to get clearance from day 1. And as you said, clearance is not attainable without citizenship.

For any else wondering, I also looked into self funding secret clearance... As I'm not sure what there is to gain for the country waiting 'x' number of years as a green card holder before becoming a citizen.. vs just proving my clearance now. I've spent more than a decade here already. It seems I cannot prove myself in A&S, or my loyalty to the Country - other than wait 2-3 more years.

Let me know if anyone else has any other ideas please - or any other SAR operations to help support the Country.. I'd like to serve the USA for all she has given to me, and be effective in serving. This type of mission set is most fit for my background and experience.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
However unpublished to the public is the requirement to obtain secret clearance the day slotted (green card holders cannot begin or quality A&S and apply citizenship later). I would get citizenship while in the pipeline and by the time i graduate, but realistically I cannot start it without the ability to get clearance from day 1. And as you said, clearance is not attainable without citizenship.
The official Air Force recruiting website discloses "Completion of a current National Agency Check, Local Agency Checks and Credit Check". This is essentially identifying a background investigation checking for criminal record (DUI, speeding, illicit drug use, criminal mischief, domestic violence, etc) is a mandatory prerequisite. A judicial record of domestic violence is significant as it disqualifies you from military occupations requiring the carry of firearms. Ten years is the general go back looking for such records. The reason citizenship s tied into ten years is the US government has no jurisdiction to seek out arrest and court records in other countries.

Custom Text