Team ST Questions + Discussion

Coach AN

Strength and Conditioning Coach
Operator
Coach,

I’m AD in the process of retraining into PJ, hoping to attend Phase II and eventually A&S sometime this year. I’ve been training on and off with Bryan Silva’s “Pass the PAST” program and have a running program that was given to me by a RQS CSCS in order to improve my 1.5 mi. I’ve just started following the Navy Special Warfare Physical Training Guide while using the Power Athlete Template for lifting. I’ve long contemplated subscribing to Team ST, but I noticed these forums haven’t been super active in the past year which has lead me to wonder if it’s still worth it to try it out. How does Team ST compare to other programs like the NSW PTG and would you recommend I start with foundations or advanced being that I’m not sure when I would leave for Phase II/A&S?

Thank you for your help,

K
K,

it sounds like your grabbing several unrelated programs and trying to morph them into a singular program to meet your needs. This can be limiting as one program will likely hinder advancement in another. In programming for Team ST, I have brought in the aspects of the various training methods that will work together to build the most well rounded athlete. This broader approach will better prepare you for the uncertainties of the new A&S, which is no longer a series of body weight exercises tested weekly. There’s not a ton of activity here in this topic because most of the conversations are happening on the Training App’s feed among the Team ST athlete’s. So, yes, Team ST is very much alive and doing very well.

Depending on whatPower Athlete template you’ve been following, and how long you’ve been following would dictate what program to start with. If you were following Power Athlete’s “Bedrock,” that is the same progression as Team ST-Foundations; however, the conditioning portion is more in line with the requirements of the SpecWar pipeline, with run/ruck/swim work built in. If you have exhausted this progression (conducted 3 resets on Squat AND Deadlift), then it’s time to move to Team ST Advanced.

AN

Coach:

1. I am curious if the ST program is it all adapted for the current social distancing protocols and limited to no gym or pool access. I'm interested in joining, however I'm curious if it's worth waiting a month or two as I am in the Northeast and expect extended isolation.

2. Is there a more specific guide or opportunity for a personal chat (quick call even?) to better assess whether or not to start with the foundation versus advanced programming? I have reviewed the quick recommendation at the advanced programming article. I have a solid historical foundation but not through ST.

Thanks.

Coach AN

Operator
Coach:

1. I am curious if the ST program is it all adapted for the current social distancing protocols and limited to no gym or pool access. I'm interested in joining, however I'm curious if it's worth waiting a month or two as I am in the Northeast and expect extended isolation.

2. Is there a more specific guide or opportunity for a personal chat (quick call even?) to better assess whether or not to start with the foundation versus advanced programming? I have reviewed the quick recommendation at the advanced programming article. I have a solid historical foundation but not through ST.

Thanks.
Yes, both Team ST programs have their normal programming as well as a home gym option that can be conducted with items easily found at a hardware store. The training is highly focused at improving your athletic movement while still building strength and metabolic capacity.

Regarding which program to start with, shoot me a PM with the type of training you have done along with your current body weight and estimated 1 rep max for squat/deadlift/bench, max rep pull ups, 1.5 mile run time and we’ll go from there.

Coach AN

Last edited:
Coach AN:

I am an AFROTC cadet currently considering pursuing becoming a CRO. I have spent the last year "getting after it" while in college, trying to get myself in shape to pass the PAST with flying colors, but am beginning to hit some walls in my training. Cardio is definitely a strength for me, but upper body strength is a weakness I have been struggling to overcome. I came across Team ST though and am considering joining. Can you share a bit more in detail about how personalized the Team ST workouts are, and if it can turn someone like me (PAST scores: 11 Pullups, 46 Pushups, 72 sit-ups, sub 20:00 3-mile run, sub 10:00 500m surface swim) into a desirable candidate for Selection in 1-2 years?

Thank you for taking your time to help people like me who are pursuing their dream to serve in AF Special Warfare.

Coach AN

Operator
Coach AN:

I am an AFROTC cadet currently considering pursuing becoming a CRO. I have spent the last year "getting after it" while in college, trying to get myself in shape to pass the PAST with flying colors, but am beginning to hit some walls in my training. Cardio is definitely a strength for me, but upper body strength is a weakness I have been struggling to overcome. I came across Team ST though and am considering joining. Can you share a bit more in detail about how personalized the Team ST workouts are, and if it can turn someone like me (PAST scores: 11 Pullups, 46 Pushups, 72 sit-ups, sub 20:00 3-mile run, sub 10:00 500m surface swim) into a desirable candidate for Selection in 1-2 years?

Thank you for taking your time to help people like me who are pursuing their dream to serve in AF Special Warfare.

The Foundations program is focused on building your strength baseline while developing your overall athleticism and will absolutely help you with your upper body strength concerns. The training sessions increase in weight and intensity based on your previous week’s performance. Additionally, I encourage team members to post videos for feedback, which helps everyone learn and improve. Once you maximize your potential in this linear progression (usually after about 5-6 months) you will switch to the advanced team. Here you will continue to be challenged with new movements under varying levels of volume and intensity to find and eliminate any limiting factors that may be holding you back. Again, the prescribed weights will be entirely based on your performance each day. Both teams balance strength and conditioning development using all foundational movement patterns and planes of motion with the assistance of free weights, bands, med balls, runs, rucks, swims and more.

Hope this answers your question!

Coach AN

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
For those wondering PCT is referring to post cycle therapy plan for when individual discontinues the use of all anabolic steroids. There is often problem of most anabolic steroids suppress the bodies natural testosterone production to one degree or another and causing necessity to kick start the body's natural ability to produce and sustain a healthy level of harmones. There is also the problematic moral factors (criminality) as discovery of pre-service use of anabolic androgenic steroids requires a pre-service drug use waiver. If steroids use was part of a medical treatment for an underlying medical disease then a medical waiver for the disqualifying medical condition would also be problematic.

Post cycle therapy plans do not have purpose or intent to mitigate discovery of pre-service use of anabolic androgenic steroids.

Hey everyone, I hope you’re all doing well, staying motivated and ready to train! I’m Shawn, strength and conditioning coach for Team ST. If you have any questions regarding training with Team ST, maximizing your recovery/performance or any other related question, hit me up right here. I’m excited to get started and I hope you are too!

- AN
Hey Shawn,
I’m planning on trying out for a guard or reserve unit. I know some of them are switching over to the OFT instead of the PAST for testing, and some are staying with the PAST. Considering that they usually give contracts to the highest scoring guys, do you think your programs will enable someone to score at the top regardless of which test is required?
Thanks,
Jordan

Coach AN

Operator
Hey Shawn,
I’m planning on trying out for a guard or reserve unit. I know some of them are switching over to the OFT instead of the PAST for testing, and some are staying with the PAST. Considering that they usually give contracts to the highest scoring guys, do you think your programs will enable someone to score at the top regardless of which test is required?
Thanks,
Jordan
Hey Jordan,

If you’re ONLY looking at the test, Team ST will better prepare you for the OFT. It will prepare you for the PAST and Team ST alumni have crushed the past and been selected; however, someone that focuses ONLY on the PAST, will likely score higher on this test than someone with a well rounded physical capacity. The problem with this, and why many units are switching to the OFT, is that a high score on the PAST, does not indicate a candidate will have good results at A&S or on the job, while the OFT has a direct correlation with mission performance requirements.

Hey Jordan,

If you’re ONLY looking at the test, Team ST will better prepare you for the OFT. It will prepare you for the PAST and Team ST alumni have crushed the past and been selected; however, someone that focuses ONLY on the PAST, will likely score higher on this test than someone with a well rounded physical capacity. The problem with this, and why many units are switching to the OFT, is that a high score on the PAST, does not indicate a candidate will have good results at A&S or on the job, while the OFT has a direct correlation with mission performance requirements.
That sounds good. I've been waiting to sign up but gyms have been closed here for a while and will probably continue to be closed for another few months. Is there any program offered by Team ST that someone can do without a gym? I'd be willing to buy some equipment, but not things like a squat rack, etc.

That sounds good. I've been waiting to sign up but gyms have been closed here for a while and will probably continue to be closed for another few months. Is there any program offered by Team ST that someone can do without a gym? I'd be willing to buy some equipment, but not things like a squat rack, etc.
Coach AN has simultaneously been programming strength and conditioning workouts that require minimal equipment. And by minimal equipment I mean $50 worth of supplies from home depot or lowe’s. That’s it.

Coach AN

Operator
Coach AN has simultaneously been programming strength and conditioning workouts that require minimal equipment. And by minimal equipment I mean $50 worth of supplies from home depot or lowe’s. That’s it.
Thanks K, for some reason I didn't get the notification on this thread.

Coach AN,
I am a former member of the Marine SOF community and currently a member of the Army SOF community. I am moving forward in becoming a STO.

I understand Team ST Workouts will get you ready for A&S, will they get someone ready for Phase 2, as well? I am hopefully taking my phase 2 in the spring and I want to make sure I have the best programming to get me ready and not showing up injured or "peaked" out. I saw a CRO/STO Phase Two, 8-week program on Moutain Tactical and it gave me the impression that given the miles, weight, and length, I would show up in that state.

Thanks for the help and I love the approach of training smarter, not harder. In the past selections I have attended and cadred, we were guilty of that.

Coach AN

Operator
MPK-
Team ST isn't hyper-focused on imitating selection requirements. Instead, we take a broader approach at improving strength, conditioning, movement quality/efficiency and finding comfort in the uncomfortable. There is pool and ruck work involved to make sure neither on of those events are too overwhelming. I've found that this will better translate into performance at any selection and typically will lead to graduation with fewer or no injuries. That being said, you will note a significant improvement in your overall performance that will allow you to perform well and keep your head in the game at phase 2, as well as A&S.

Coach AN

Coach,

With Covid shutting down the gyms ( pools specifically) would team ST be a good option still? Or should I focus on GPP without swimming until I can get into a pool and then jump on Team ST

Coach AN

Operator
Coach,

With Covid shutting down the gyms ( pools specifically) would team ST be a good option still? Or should I focus on GPP without swimming until I can get into a pool and then jump on Team ST
Both of the Team ST programs have a home gym option with about $50 worth of gear you can find at Home depot. They are focused on building GPP and movement quality from a performance based focus.

Custom Text