Using the PJ Side Stroke in the STO PAST

Are you allowed to perform the STO 1500 meter swim using the PJ side stroke, no arm motions just kicking. I've mostly been using the SEAL style side stroke but I think the PJ style side stroke would be more efficient for me.
If anyone knows that would be great ?
Thanks guys

I don't know the answer to your question, but for future reference:

"PJ Side Stroke" = Lead Arm Trail Arm
"SEAL Style" = Combat Side Stroke

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
You could do it, but your time utilizing that stroke will be awful and will severely detract from you getting picked up. I would highly recommend freestyle.

SW

Coach AN

Strength and Conditioning Coach
Operator
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted by CDK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would you suggest that I use breast stroke?</div></div>

No. If you're bored one day, you could go for a nice "relaxing" 1500m breatsroke and see how you feel, I imagine it won't be good.

I agree with SW, focus on freestyle for this.

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
Check out the book Total Immersion in the library section on this site if you are struggling with freestyle.

SW

With the freestyle stroke, in the application for STO it says you can conduct the swim with or without fins. What is common for the PAST test for those who have made it? Do they tend to do the swim with or without fins? Any preference better than the other from a PT standpoint?

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
PAST test is always without fins. The operator swim is 1500 and has been assessed with or without fins, depending on who is running the assessment. Be prepared for either or. If I were you, I would focus primarily without fins. Slap on fins from time to time so you can get used to the advantage you gain and use them appropriately.
If you are a good freestyler and dont forget you have the advantage of fins on, you'll do fine.

SW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted by CDK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would you suggest that I use breast stroke?</div></div>
yeah, that's my suggestion. I am also new like you though, I don't even know much about the freestyle other than: It's similar to the front crawl, but I think I can actually do the freestyle. I am going to read up on it as suggested.

Yukon

Staff member
Operator
Food for thought. In the water the side stroke is basis for dragging an individual needing assistance or other equipment through the water such as a swim crossing of a body of water encountered on a tactical or evading overland movement. The breast srtoke isn't very accommodating to doing such tasks in the water. Also the breast stoke needs good technique to be the only style used for a timed surface swim of any significant difference.

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
You guys need to learn freestyle. You will be laughed at if you try to become a STO doing the side stroke or breast stroke during water events.

SW

Prior to joining the Navy to go for SARC, I was doing side stroke with fins for long distances and barely knew freestyle prepping for PJ well enough to swim a sub 10 - 500m.

After I broke my leg and lost my SARC contract, I dedicated myself to learning freestyle as it was the only cardio I could do outside of my splint/boot. This is what made me comfortable in the water and helped me go from barely being a sub-10 500m swimmer to a sub 8 500m swimmer. It's now my favorite form of long distance cardio.

It's definitely possible to teach yourself and it's something I recommend learning. As others have stated, it's faster than CSS and breaststroke as well.

That said, I didn't learn from the Total Immersion book, but it probably makes it more simple than the hours of research I dedicated finding drills and breaking the stroke down into singular actions to practice. Once you have a technique though, a leisurely freestyle feels as easy as walking and, at least mentally, helps with post exercise soreness/recovery.

Custom Text