When is the right time to talk to a recruiter

Hello all,
I am currently a Grad Student at Clarkson University ( Potsdam, NY ) studying Data Analytics. I would like to enlist in the Air Force after I graduate and want to become a PJ. I was wondering if anyone had any information about when a good time to talk to an Air Force recruiter during my school. I have 2 years in Grad School and then I plan on enlisting. I was wondering if I should contact a recruiter now to start the process or if I should wait until my last year at school to begin. I assume talking to a recruiter as soon as possible would be the best idea but I currently live in CT but live the majority of my months at school in upstate NY. Would I have to contact a special warfare recruiter in New York or in CT?

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
Grad student to military enlisted? Wow, good on ya. You had a change of heart somewhere down the line?
I would start now, there's no harm in reaching out early. Tell them your timeline and don't feel pressured to sign the papers until you are personally ready. The recruiter can likely get you linked up with the local developer who can assist you with any areas you are lacking in, especially for the pool.
The Special Warfare recruiter is usually regional- it may be the same guy for NY or CT. If not, they may hand you off to one another if appropriate.
Good luck.

SW

Grad student to military enlisted? Wow, good on ya. You had a change of heart somewhere down the line?
I would start now, there's no harm in reaching out early. Tell them your timeline and don't feel pressured to sign the papers until you are personally ready. The recruiter can likely get you linked up with the local developer who can assist you with any areas you are lacking in, especially for the pool.
The Special Warfare recruiter is usually regional- it may be the same guy for NY or CT. If not, they may hand you off to one another if appropriate.
Good luck.

SW
During my undergrad I just went through the motions just to get my degree. I would do the typical college kid extra curricular actives but on a routine abusive level. I fell into a funk and wanted to get out. Felt like the funk came from going down a path and studying for a degree that I wouldn't enjoy in life. I've always been attracted to saving people and doing the work that gets overlooked but is a crucial part of lives, I looked into becoming a wildfire Hotshot due to the physical and mental requirement that not many people were interested in. I looked into the military to save people and looked at Army Special Forces. My senior year of College I enrolled in Army ROTC as I knew I would go to grad school after I graduated. My plan was to work my career towards SF. Then one day I stumbled upon the movie "The Last Full Measure" and I was blown away. I have done countless research on PJs and found that they were a perfect fit to what I wanted to do, special operations and medical rescue. I dropped from rotc a month ago and am starting this new path that I believe is the correct choice. I looked into CROs but it seemed to be a lot more management work than in the chopper and on the ground. I know that I wouldn't be able to sit behind while others are saving lives so I want to enlist and help rather than go the officer route.

Grad school is my 2nd attempt at college so I can make up for the years that I slacked off and coasted by. I didn't want to leave school on a bad note and have turned around my senior year but want to do a "full redo" and attack grad school to the best of my ability.

I looked at the 330 RCS AFSPECWAR recruiter guide provided on the website. Would contacting them be a better choice than a normal Air Force Recruiter?

SW

Administrator
Staff member
Operator
I looked at the 330 RCS AFSPECWAR recruiter guide provided on the website. Would contacting them be a better choice than a normal Air Force Recruiter?
YES, ABSOLUTELY.

If they are doing their job properly, a normal recruiter should immediately hook you up with a 330 RCS recruiter if you mention Special Warfare.

SW

Hello all,
I am currently a Grad Student at Clarkson University ( Potsdam, NY ) studying Data Analytics. I would like to enlist in the Air Force after I graduate and want to become a PJ. I was wondering if anyone had any information about when a good time to talk to an Air Force recruiter during my school. I have 2 years in Grad School and then I plan on enlisting. I was wondering if I should contact a recruiter now to start the process or if I should wait until my last year at school to begin. I assume talking to a recruiter as soon as possible would be the best idea but I currently live in CT but live the majority of my months at school in upstate NY. Would I have to contact a special warfare recruiter in New York or in CT?
Do not hesitate to offer others a chance to feel good as you do,

Custom Text